Replace that Steering Dampener - You will notice a difference - I did

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I replaced my shocks at 67K and I figured why not replace the steering dampener. I wasn't expecting much if anything.

Before replacing it when I took my hands off the steering wheel when going down a straight highway the truck would slowly wonder.

Now with the replacement - the truck goes straight and stays straight without my hands on the steering wheel.

I got this:

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
I changed mine also to the "Fox Shocks Performance Series 2.0 Smooth Body IFP Stabilizer" and it made a world of difference. After installing it there was a slight pull to the right which 2 alignment shops could not get rid (but I did get my wheel straightened out finally with the new draglink recall). This was noted on their forums and their posted fix was to slowly turn the wheel lock to lock 3 times but I still felt it ever so slightly.

OP
OP
Z

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I changed mine also to the "Fox Shocks Performance Series 2.0 Smooth Body IFP Stabilizer" and it made a world of difference. After installing it there was a slight pull to the right which 2 alignment shops could not get rid (but I did get my wheel straightened out finally with the new draglink recall). This was noted on their forums and their posted fix was to slowly turn the wheel lock to lock 3 times but I still felt it ever so slightly.
It's one of those parts that is rarely replaced but should be.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So Zoe, has your truck ever said what it wonders about? Mine doesn't seem to think about much of anything. ;)

I agree with changing steering stailizers. The issue with them, shocks etc is they degrade slowly over time and you really don't notice. It isn't until you put on new stuff that you see what a difference it makes.

OP
OP
Z

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
So Zoe, has your truck ever said what it wonders about? Mine doesn't seem to think about much of anything. ;)

I agree with changing steering stailizers. The issue with them, shocks etc is they degrade slowly over time and you really don't notice. It isn't until you put on new stuff that you see what a difference it makes.
It wonders about being replaced by electric vehicles.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I believe I saw OP's truck is a 2016 model year HD. I have a 2017 HD, and there is another thread about steering dampers that stated a redesign of steering gear attachment structure to stiffen it enough to minimize steering wander.

Looked under my truck and it indeed has massive bracketry attaching the steering gear to left frame rail. I'd have to dig up the other thread to see when the redesign took place. The HD truck generations don't match the LD truck generation modify dates.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990