Replacing Lock Actuators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced the lock actuators on the passenger side doors of my 2010 1500 Crew Cab truck. The first time I did it, I didn't think about taking pictures of the process, but then I didn't get a rod hooked up and had to take it back apart to correct that. I took photos of that process that gave me enough photos to be able to do a write up. Here it is.

The only tools you will need are: A couple of small flat screwdrivers about 4-6 inches in length, Phillips screwdriver, Pliers (I used needle nose), 10MM socket and 5MM socket and wrench or drill, T30 torx driver and if you screw out the plugs in the second step a T5 (I think) driver, and a short piece of heavy wire to hold the glass up.

First step, remove the screw and the panel behind the handle. There is a small cover over the screw that you can remove with a small flat screwdriver.

Step_1.jpg, Step 2.jpg

Then remove the fasteners that hold the panel on. They are a two piece fastener that has a screw shaped insert and then a expanding plug. The insert can be screwed lightly, or what I did was use a flat screwdriver to pull it out, then pull the plug out.

Step_3a.jpg, Step_3b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Then remove the cover above the door panel for the mirror bolts.

Step 4a.jpg
Step 4b.jpg

Pull the switch for the window and unplug it.

Step 5.jpg

The door panel can then be removed pulling it upward and off the door.

OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The inner door panel is now shown. The red arrows are most of the bolts that hold it on and the yellow arrows are the access panel and speaker that have to be removed. Remove the bolts that hold the panel on.

Step_6a.jpg
Step_6b.jpg

In the access opening to the rear of the door you need to take off the rod that is from the outer handle, un-clip it and pull the rod away from the actuator. Remove the three screws that hold the actuator to the door (T30 driver).

Step_7a.jpg
Step_7b.jpg

Roll the window down so that you can see the clips that hold the window on the rails. Looking through the holes you can push the retainers (red arrows) in and lift the window up. I used two small flat screwdrivers to push the clips and pulled up on the window. Do the one in the access and then the one behind the speaker, pull the window the rest of the way up and the door panel outward and use a wire to hang the window up. I made a wire from a hanger and made a hook at each end of about 5 inches in length.

Step_8.jpg

You will want to unhook the wires for all the connections, except for the one that goes to the actuator as it passes through the panel and doesn't pull out easily. The wires were loose enough that I was able to rotate the panel enough to get it out without the actuator wire disconnected.

The actuator is on a arm that pulls out with the panel, it just needs to be un-clipped rods disconnected and swapped out. Unfortunately I didn't get this far into it to get photos of this since I didn't have to just to connect the rod from the outer handle that I missed, but it's pretty self evident once you get to this point.

Reverse the procedure to reinstall everything. Don't forget to hook all the rods back in place and hook up all the wires. Lower the window and guide it back into the clips. If you are lucky, when you lower the window, you wont drop the wire into the door as I did (still in there, didn't want to remove the panel to get it out since I couldn't reach it through the access openings).

I had to do both the front and rear doors. The front door is what all the photos are from, but the rear door is basically the same. The window doesn't line up with both access holes at the same time, so you have to do one clip, roll up or down the window and get the second.

Hope this helps anyone trying to do this. Not really that tough, but it's always nice to have advice from someone who has already done it and gotten past small obstacles.

Last edited: