Replacing OEM Running Boards - What to do with these bolts??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewbieTruckOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I have a question that hopefully someone who knows what they're doing can give me some insight. I am not shy about admitting that my car knowledge is pretty limited, so bare with me.

I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn 3.6L V6 and the side steps are not great, a little rusty, and I'm going to replace them. I hoped this would be straightforward but when I got under there I noticed that, unlike many installation instructions and videos, in addition to the regular mounting points they are also bolted to some other areas and I want to be sure I don't take a seemingly simple replacement and cause myself bigger problems.

My main questions:
1) Are these other two bolts good to remove without issue? I removed the front and it seems fine. The tape is there so when I do take the board off I hope to prevent it falling off and not knowing how the pieces go back there before I put the bolt back in. The rear one seems like there is a bit more going on and I need to pickup a different socket to take that bolt off.
2) If these are good to take off, when replacing, is there any general rule of thumb or watch outs when it comes to tightening these types of bolt? I've had to use an impact wrench to break the others loose as they were pretty stuck, but as far as tightening things back up, is that necessary? Is there a general rule of thumb on torque spec for this kind of area or do most just let it rip?

I appreciate any help you all could provide!

Thanks

Side Step.jpg

Front Passenger Side:
Passenger Front.jpg
Passenger Front2.jpg
Rear Passenger Side:

Passenger Rear.jpg
Passenger Rear2.jpg

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I would put a nut on them and paint them to protect against rust. What if you sell the truck and the new owner wants stock running boards, would be a boon for him to have them there and they don't hurt anything being there.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I have a question that hopefully someone who knows what they're doing can give me some insight. I am not shy about admitting that my car knowledge is pretty limited, so bare with me.

I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn 3.6L V6 and the side steps are not great, a little rusty, and I'm going to replace them. I hoped this would be straightforward but when I got under there I noticed that, unlike many installation instructions and videos, in addition to the regular mounting points they are also bolted to some other areas and I want to be sure I don't take a seemingly simple replacement and cause myself bigger problems.

My main questions:
1) Are these other two bolts good to remove without issue? I removed the front and it seems fine. The tape is there so when I do take the board off I hope to prevent it falling off and not knowing how the pieces go back there before I put the bolt back in. The rear one seems like there is a bit more going on and I need to pickup a different socket to take that bolt off.
2) If these are good to take off, when replacing, is there any general rule of thumb or watch outs when it comes to tightening these types of bolt? I've had to use an impact wrench to break the others loose as they were pretty stuck, but as far as tightening things back up, is that necessary? Is there a general rule of thumb on torque spec for this kind of area or do most just let it rip?

I appreciate any help you all could provide!

Thanks

View attachment 507091

Front Passenger Side:
View attachment 507090
View attachment 507092
Rear Passenger Side:

View attachment 507093
View attachment 507094
Those aren’t OEM side steps. Which is probably why what you have is rusted. The OEMs only use the bolts on the rocker panel.

OP
OP
N

NewbieTruckOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Thanks @KeithP, I was assuming they were OEM, good to know. Really just trying to access any risks with removing those non-rocker bolts pictured, taking off the side step, and replacing the same bolts without issue. If you or anyone has any experience with that it would be a big help.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Thanks @KeithP, I was assuming they were OEM, good to know. Really just trying to access any risks with removing those non-rocker bolts pictured, taking off the side step, and replacing the same bolts without issue. If you or anyone has any experience with that it would be a big help.
The bolts your referring to are the body mount blots. When you replace them they should be properly torqued. Sorry, I don’t know the torque value.

OP
OP
N

NewbieTruckOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
The bolts your referring to are the body mount blots. When you replace them they should be properly torqued. Sorry, I don’t know the torque value.
Awesome, that’s helpful, thank you! Now if someone knows or could point me to where I might find some torque specs for these it would be clutch.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
You side steps ahve a mounting plate with 3 bolts, then an support arm the goes formt eh mounting plate, up to teh body mount support. That body mount bolt mUST be replaced, it is what keeps y our trucks body attached to the trucks frame. It should be torque'ed to 80ft lbs.

OP
OP
N

NewbieTruckOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
You side steps ahve a mounting plate with 3 bolts, then an support arm the goes formt eh mounting plate, up to teh body mount support. That body mount bolt mUST be replaced, it is what keeps y our trucks body attached to the trucks frame. It should be torque'ed to 80ft lbs.
Thank you for the info! I appreciate the help.