Replacing Stock Headunit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking into replacing the stock headunit in my 2015 Ram Express. I am looking at a couple different units but mostly wanting something that has Apple Carplay since my truck does not currently have navigation. I don't have any steering wheel controls or anything like that. Do i just need the basic wiring harness or do I need something more than that? I have read there is not ACC wire in the stock harness so I will need to tap into the usb in the dash so there is not constant power is this correct?

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I know that Crutchfield has two different harnesses. One will give you the main basic functions and the other retains the remote USB/AUX functions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I apologize that I don't remember exactly what harness I used (that's not much help is it?) but I do remember that I contacted Crutchfield and followed their direction on what to buy and it worked perfectly.

The 95-6518B dash kit from Metra looks pretty good with a 2DIN head unit in it.

I also bought the iDatalink brand USB console adapter thing which enabled the center console USB input to work with my new head unit's rear USB port. That wouldn't be of any use to you if the new head unit you buy doesn't have a rear USB port, and if we're honest I never use it anyway because bluetooth.. but it does work if I ever get the urge to use it :D

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That part I don't remember... well if you're not in a hurry I'll be taking my center dash apart as soon as my upfitter aux switches show up, ordered today :D

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
yes, i tapped into acc power bu cannot remember where or what. just knowit was close and handy.

if you want rear view camera, check out my build thread for where and how to tap into that.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEW in my truck this summer. It has wireless carplay and Android auto. I bought it from Crutchfields and paid extra for their harness. I also bought the mastero adapters so I could still adjust oem settings through the radio. It was all plug and play for me and was every easy to install. It works much Bert then the oem crap that came in it.

Sent from my KFMUWI using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEW in my truck this summer. It has wireless carplay and Android auto. I bought it from Crutchfields and paid extra for their harness. I also bought the mastero adapters so I could still adjust oem settings through the radio. It was all plug and play for me and was every easy to install. It works much Bert then the oem crap that came in it.

That is actually one of the radios I was looking at. You did not need to tap into a ACC wire and the radio turns off when you turn the truck off?

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is actually one of the radios I was looking at. You did not need to tap into a ACC wire and the radio turns off when you turn the truck off?
I didn’t have to tap into anything: it was all plug and play. It turns off with the truck and bows away the oem unit it replaced. Which head unit do you have? I replaced the 5.0. Buying crutchfields harness made hooking everything up very easy. I consider it worth the price I paid for it. Have you ever thought about adding the steering wheel controls for the radio? It’s not hard to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have the smaller RA2 radio. I’ve looked at doing the steering wheel controls but I don’t know that I would get much use out of them. My wife’s Jeep has them and I tend to hit them on accident when I am driving it.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking at 2 pioneers the 4500 and the 2550. I’m also looking at a kenwood and an Alpine but leaning toward one of the pioneers.
I really like the 4500, but the 2550 looks good too. I personally wouldn't get the 2550 because I like the hard buttons on the bottom, like the 4500 has, not on the side like the 2550. I also like having the wireless carplay on the 4500. You can do the wired carplay if you want to, but having the option is good.

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really like the 4500, but the 2550 looks good too. I personally wouldn't get the 2550 because I like the hard buttons on the bottom, like the 4500 has, not on the side like the 2550. I also like having the wireless carplay on the 4500. You can do the wired carplay if you want to, but having the option is good.
Yeah I am leaning towards the 4500 for sure

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

How well does the wireless carplay work? I was reading some reviews that people were having a hard time with it.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How well does the wireless carplay work? I was reading some reviews that people were having a hard time with it.
Once in awhile it doesn't see the phone and i have to connect it manually, but most of the time it works well. I'm glad i got it.

fullmonte60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
i replaced the unconnect 3.0 with the kenwood ddx376bt and 4 pioneer ts-g6930f's. i used the axxess interface adapter and metra 99-6516B dash kit. the BT is much better than the 3.0 unit.