Retractable bumper step?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck was supposed to have one installed from factory, but was removed at dealer prior to purchase because of recall on the step. Now I have to wait for ram to release the updated one.

Might be a long wait with the Chinese Bat Flu. Dealer where I bought mine said if someone were order a truck today and the plants reopened, it would be 7 months until you see that truck.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Might be a long wait with the Chinese Bat Flu. Dealer where I bought mine said if someone were order a truck today and the plants reopened, it would be 7 months until you see that truck.

This is crazy. My rural county has seen zero deaths from this Chinese lab virus. Yesterday, they asked the Governor to be excluded from the lockdown. Very few are sick with just 3 currently in the hospital. With 3 people per square mile in this region of the country it's difficult for it to spread. Unfortunately, I doubt that my local unincorporated town's businesses will survive this lockdown vs a large city truck plant. 7 months to wait is much shorter than never ever to wait for a Ram pickup.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Went to my local dealer today and was told the step will not be available until August.

I did buy the all weather mats though. You would think an off-road oriented truck would come with them.

U100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I installed the Amp step on my ‘16 Laramie 1500 crew cab, but then installed a camper shell so the step is no longer needed. I’d be glad to sell the step if anyone’s interested.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Went to my local dealer today and was told the step will not be available until August.

I did buy the all weather mats though. You would think an off-road oriented truck would come with them.

I thought my dealer tried to pass me a quick one with the carpets.
Now I know it comes with carpet mats... Thanks

But little do they know, I made my friend pull my rubber mats from the exchanged 1500 while I was signing the paperwork.

:emotions33:

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I thought my dealer tried to pass me a quick one with the carpets.
Now I know it comes with carpet mats... Thanks

But little do they know, I made my friend pull my rubber mats from the exchanged 1500 while I was signing the paperwork.

:emotions33:
Really?! I got really nice rubber mats. And a full length one in the back. They snap in too. Great quality

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi

FYI, checked with the dealer today. Parts department said the step would be available 9/25. We shall see.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Called the local RAM dealer today was was told they have it in stock with a price of $365, not installed:cool:

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Don't write off after market products like AMP. I installed the MOPAR part on my 2018 a couple of months ago and a little disappointed. I chose the MOPAR part because it looked like it may have tucked up a little tighter to the bumper and it is a godsend for getting in and out of the bed especially for us older folks :) Too my diappointment the step doesn't lock well in the open position, if you are not careful with foot placement while stepping up it can start to retract. After a few bruised knees I've gotten the technique down but still have to warn others who haven't used it already! I haven't leveled my truck so maybe the angle of my bed is part of the problem. The AMP step looks to have a more rectangular / larger step area and possibly a little different gemotry also less expensive.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Installed a AMP bed step and works well. No complaints.

sawman556

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Don't write off after market products like AMP. I installed the MOPAR part on my 2018 a couple of months ago and a little disappointed. I chose the MOPAR part because it looked like it may have tucked up a little tighter to the bumper and it is a godsend for getting in and out of the bed especially for us older folks :) Too my diappointment the step doesn't lock well in the open position, if you are not careful with foot placement while stepping up it can start to retract. After a few bruised knees I've gotten the technique down but still have to warn others who haven't used it already! I haven't leveled my truck so maybe the angle of my bed is part of the problem. The AMP step looks to have a more rectangular / larger step area and possibly a little different gemotry also less expensive.

Guess I'll just keep stepping on the tire like I've always done. I installed Amp power steps which are great. The should make a bed step that comes down when you drop the tailgate. Looks like they could come up with a better position when it's down and get it to be hidden when it's up. Thought about getting one, but I'll pass.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got an email from mopar and the ram bed step is back. Picked one up from my dealer today.
I tried earlier to get an amp step but they are sold out
How was the install?

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Gave up waiting for my voucher and just grabbed one when I was at the dealer for service today. Dealer understood my frustration and sold it at close to their cost. I like how low profile/hidden the mopar step is. I've seen a few pics of the old version and this bracing on this one is pretty beefed up.

How was the install?

Install was cake. Would've been easier if I had standard sockets and not just metric. You pretty much pull 3 stock bolts (largest being standard equivalent for a 24mm) and install either reusing hardware or with new supplied. I did it by myself in about 15 minutes. It goes a lot quicker with an impact wrench (as most wrenching does).

OA

3LIfhJm.jpg

Short clip showing how it looks approaching the truck: https://imgur.com/xr4gQ7X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01