Reverse gear strength.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry Livingood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm new to pickups and RVing. I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with a 6.7l Cummins diesel engine (unknown transmission) and a 31' fifth wheel trailer weighing 10K pounds.

I have a 250' long driveway with probably an uphill 3-4% grade. To park my RV by my house I will need to back the trailer up this driveway.

Will backing like this put an undue strain on the transmission or in any way damage the pickup?

Thanks,
Jerry Livingood

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Welcome to the forum! The transmission ,and truck in general, can handle that trailer without any problems at all... Frowards or backwards [emoji106]

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Jerry: I agree 100% with Power247.

Not that this has any baring on your question to a degree.
Have you owned the 2014 since new?

My gut hunch is you just recently bought it used?

Has any General Preventive maintenance been performed on the 68RFE?

Reason for my questions: The 68RFE even though a dependable decent transmission--Have a reputation for being the weakest link within the power command from the 6.7L back to the 11.5" AAM rearend.

These rascals really like New Fresh ATF and Filters!
Not that your backing up your driveway with your RV will cause any type of transmission issues or damage. Just don't neglect of the hardest working part of this system with poor maintenance habits.
(As Well As): Keeping the power as close to stock as possible and driving her like a civilized human being!

Enjoy your new RVing Experience!

Last edited: