RHR Radio and Aftermarket Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fire4Effect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know there are a bunch of threads on this, but none actually covers the information.

I have a 2012 RHR radio transplanted in a 2009. Everything works fine, GPS,
UConnect (for whatever I think it’s supposed to do) and Sirius. Of course I needed an adapter, microphone and GPS antenna. Everything you’d expect. Now comes the backup camera. Everything works up to the radio. The power in the rear is from the reverse lights.I tested it on a separate monitor. The camera’s RCA cable is connected to the radio through the C3 adapter. I activated the camera system through Appcar Of course, the camera doesn’t come on.

The factory diagram shows C3 with wires on pins 3, 4 and 5, with 5 being labeled as a shield. My adapter only has the video on 3 and 4. There is a separate red wire attached to the front part of the camera “harness”, but I have not connected it to anything. I’ve checked a ton of aftermarket resources and there is no consistent answer. Some insist you must use a Lockpick, some say you need the OBD2 programmer and pass through connector, some imply it should work as it is.

I’m not all that familiar with FCA or their radios, so I don’t have much of a starting point.

Anyhow, does the head unit need it’s own separate trigger signal or is it recognized through the CAN bus system in the radio, when the camera is enabled? Is the signal sent by the aftermarket camera compatible with the radio as is, or is there some sort of processing required? Nothing anywhere has addressed this.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
OP
OP
Fire4Effect

Fire4Effect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. That is the connector I have for C3. Looking at the diagrams, I’m only missing the “shield”, which is not applicable to this camera. I’m assuming I have the TIPM reverse signal covered at the rear lights. Maybe I’m missing a 12V constant? I have to take apart the dash to replace the HVAC controls, so I’ll check that.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Does the screen on the radio go black when put in reverse and do you get the "Check Entire Surroundings on the display?

OP
OP
Fire4Effect

Fire4Effect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4930F22E-DC5C-4AB5-A1D0-76EF3B7393CE.jpeg
Does the screen on the radio go black when put in reverse and do you get the "Check Entire Surroundings on the display?

The radio does nothing at all. Looking at the radio menu, the camera settings do not appear, although I can only guess where they should be. I checked Appcar and the reverse camera is enabled, so apparently there is still an issue. The donor vehicle was a Longhorn, so I find it strange there wasn’t a camera on that vehicle.

I ordered the PAC BCI-CH21 from Amazon, hoping this will solve the mystery issue. At this point, I’ve spent way too much time on something that would be simple with an aftermarket radio.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Good luck,let us know how it works

OP
OP
Fire4Effect

Fire4Effect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. That is the connector I have for C3. Looking at the diagrams, I’m only missing the
Good luck,let us know how it works

It did. Like a charm. The instructions aren’t perfect, but fairly easy to figure out. Program the module from a computer, then install with the pass through harnesses provided. I could have saved a lot of time just going this route.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956