Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Decided to replace my front rotors and pads. Had a hell of a time trying to get my drivers side rotor off from being seized on there

When I finally put on the new rotor it was fairly snug going over the wheel studs. I may of used a rubber mallet It didn't look like it was sitting completely flush on the hub either but after tightening couple lugs temporarily it looked better. The caliper bracket once installed cleared the rotor too so I went ahead and finished the one wheel

The test drive produced some squeals which could be normal but with it not sitting flush originally I wanted to test fit the other new rotor on that hub along with my old rotor as well for a comparable. The new rotors are aftermarket ones

Now I can't get the new rotor off. Wondering if the design of its slightly off or if I potentially bent something getting the originally rotor off

Any suggestions. Wondering if I should just reassemble and hope for the best No vibrations or anything just a squeal

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year is the truck? Rust on the hubs may cause the rotors to get stuck and not seat correctly. If you used a rubber mallet to pound the new rotors on the hubs then of course they will be stuck. It's always a good idea to clean the hubs before rotors get put back on.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Remove the rotors and clean ,wire brush ,sand any rust or other build up on the hub . It needs to be really clean otherwise the rotor does not sit flush ,and could have excess runout .

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The truck is a 2019 - I had time to replace the passenger side front rotor and had zero issues with fitment. It slide on and seated without any issues

I attempted the drivers side again but couldn't get the new rotor off. It comes off the hub but is getting stuck on the wheel studs. I noticed too the caliper bracket is literally touching the rotor or just a hair from it obviously because the rotor isn't seated properly. I didn't have time so had to put a washer between the caliper bracket where it bolts up to kick out the bracket a bit from the rotor. It stopped producing the squeal

My question is would I be okay running it with the washer for the time being until I have time to attempt it again

I'm thinking I'd also have to knock the wheel studs out to get the rotor off at this point

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck is a 2019 - I had time to replace the passenger side front rotor and had zero issues with fitment. It slide on and seated without any issues

I attempted the drivers side again but couldn't get the new rotor off. It comes off the hub but is getting stuck on the wheel studs. I noticed too the caliper bracket is literally touching the rotor or just a hair from it obviously because the rotor isn't seated properly. I didn't have time so had to put a washer between the caliper bracket where it bolts up to kick out the bracket a bit from the rotor. It stopped producing the squeal

My question is would I be okay running it with the washer for the time being until I have time to attempt it again

I'm thinking I'd also have to knock the wheel studs out to get the rotor off at this point
If you still have the wheel off, snap a pic

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Off the wall idea but any chance the rotor is the wrong model? Even if it came in a factory box with the correct part number there is a chance someone purchased it, returned it in the wrong box or something was mixed up at the factory.

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, not the best picture. I had this already on my phone from a previous time

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe but it looks the same as the other one that slipped right into place. I'm thinking it's a bent stud(s) from my removal of the old rotor or maybe it wasn't machined correctly and is just off slightly

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You do NOT want to run with a washer for a spacer ,find the issue and correct it . Brakes failing can kill people . Do it right.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe but it looks the same as the other one that slipped right into place. I'm thinking it's a bent stud(s) from my removal of the old rotor or maybe it wasn't machined correctly and is just off slightly
Could very well be a defective rotor. Personally I’d go buy another one of the same brand and take the stuck one off (it’s gotta come off anyway) and try the new one to see if it fits better. Hopefully you can return the defective one if that turns out to be the case.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Studs could possibly not be seated properly or one might be slightly bent. I would try replacing all studs and see if that solves the problem of seating the rotor properly.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Decided to replace my front rotors and pads. Had a hell of a time trying to get my drivers side rotor off from being seized on there

When I finally put on the new rotor it was fairly snug going over the wheel studs. I may of used a rubber mallet It didn't look like it was sitting completely flush on the hub either but after tightening couple lugs temporarily it looked better. The caliper bracket once installed cleared the rotor too so I went ahead and finished the one wheel

The test drive produced some squeals which could be normal but with it not sitting flush originally I wanted to test fit the other new rotor on that hub along with my old rotor as well for a comparable. The new rotors are aftermarket ones

Now I can't get the new rotor off. Wondering if the design of its slightly off or if I potentially bent something getting the originally rotor off

Any suggestions. Wondering if I should just reassemble and hope for the best No vibrations or anything just a squeal
The one word that jumped out at me was "after market."

This may be a bias on my part because I've has bad luck with aftermarket stuff, but I had a similar problem with my neighbors RAV 4. Fortunately I hadn't installed the other side yet and grabbed the other new rotor. Went on fine. Had to exchange the one rotor.

Just make sure you've cleaned all the rust off the hub.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 84977 miles

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Every time that I have replaced rotors the new ones went right on. Even after the old ones had to be driven off. The next time you need brake parts get then from Detroit Axel through Ebay. Quality parts and great prices.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it is hanging up on the studs, you should be able to tell before sliding on if the studs are lined up with the holes, or if one looks crooked, then rotate and look again, that is after you get it off.
If I understand , rotor stuck,if so wheel will not be running True??????? That's not good.

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got it off finally. Just took some muscle and time. Old rotor went on with zero issues. So it wasn't a bent stud like I thought. I guess it was just off by a hair. I lined the new/old up and they look identical

They said they'll replace it but I need to provide them with an inspection report from a mechanic stating that it's defective - what a hassle switching front brakes haha