Rough Country Exhaust (96009)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NinjaHobbitX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey all,
Looking to see if anyone has purchased the Rough Country exhaust 96009 and has anything to say about it??
let me know the pros and cons please and thank you!
96009.jpg

OP
OP
NinjaHobbitX

NinjaHobbitX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey all,
Looking to see if anyone has purchased the Rough Country exhaust 96009 and has anything to say about it??
let me know what you think please and thank you!!96009.jpg

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry, i havent. i had a muffler shop install a magnaflo 18 inch muffler inplace of the stock. i love the way it sounds, i cant stay off the go pedal lol

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I went with Afe and Havnt looked back. Last rough country item I bought was so cheap and crappy I wouldn't even run my engine with it. Their intakes are sketchy to say the least, not saying the exhaust isn't any good but if it reflects any workmanship like the intake did you'd be buying Honda civic exhaust

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I was telling a friend to get this bc his catback is similar aftermarket and rusted to $hit from the previous owner. Looks like a knockoff flowmaster which is what he currently has. He truck sounds decent but def has a bit of drone and cabin noise.

OP
OP
NinjaHobbitX

NinjaHobbitX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Here is the link

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The reviews on it look good,but at that price it must be aluminized pipes,so the life expectancy is probably about 5 years in Toronto.If you don't plan on dieing with the truck,it's probably an okay system for a few years

OP
OP
NinjaHobbitX

NinjaHobbitX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I won't be dieing with the truck but will have for a few years. My next truck when I trade this in will be the 2500 with the cummins or a powerwagon.

But to get the best life would you spray it down with that exhaust pipe paint the exhaust shops use??

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I won't be dieing with the truck but will have for a few years. My next truck when I trade this in will be the 2500 with the cummins or a powerwagon.

But to get the best life would you spray it down with that exhaust pipe paint the exhaust shops use??

That system is 409 stainless steel which is more rust resistant than aluminized pipe but it has a high iron content so it will rust. 316 stainless is much better but it is much more expensive as well.

If you can find a good spray on rust inhibitor that will stand up to the heat then I'd coat it. Products like POR-15 High Temp coatings can take the heat and prevent corrosion.

OP
OP
NinjaHobbitX

NinjaHobbitX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That system is 409 stainless steel which is more rust resistant than aluminized pipe but it has a high iron content so it will rust. 316 stainless is much better but it is much more expensive as well.

If you can find a good spray on rust inhibitor that will stand up to the heat then I'd coat it. Products like POR-15 High Temp coatings can take the heat and prevent corrosion.
I will definitely look into that... thanks for the info!!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Looks like the tips are 304 though.

FEATURES​

• Aggressive, guttural sound
  • Vehicle specific tuned for maximum performance
  • Fits V8 Engines - 4.7L, 5.7L
  • Dual cat-back design
  • Includes rear and side exit pipes for your preferred look
  • 409 stainless exhaust pipe with mandrel bent 16 gauge tubing
  • Dual wall stainless steel 304 high temp resistant black tips w/ RC logo
  • 409 stainless muffler w/ RC logo
  • 304 stainless clamps for easy installation (No welding)
  • Exhaust installs in factory hangers

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like the tips are 304 though.

FEATURES​

• Aggressive, guttural sound
  • Vehicle specific tuned for maximum performance
  • Fits V8 Engines - 4.7L, 5.7L
  • Dual cat-back design
  • Includes rear and side exit pipes for your preferred look
  • 409 stainless exhaust pipe with mandrel bent 16 gauge tubing
  • Dual wall stainless steel 304 high temp resistant black tips w/ RC logo
  • 409 stainless muffler w/ RC logo
  • 304 stainless clamps for easy installation (No welding)
  • Exhaust installs in factory hangers

Yeah, but ya need more than just the tips to have an operating exhaust. Seems that those will outlast the rest of the system. Gotta preserve those logos, right? :D

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, but ya need more than just the tips to have an operating exhaust. Seems that those will outlast the rest of the system. Gotta preserve those logos, right? :D
The clamps and tips should outlast the rest of it,lol

David Wellman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

before you install anything exhaust coat in and out with trans fluid start truck let it smoke off and it will last forever

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If it ain't broke don't fix it. The engineers designed the exhaust for that truck. I still have the original SINGLE exhaust on my 2010, 5.7 HEMI with 206,000 miles on it. I will not change it out because of my lifetime MaxCare warranty.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Interesting!!!... I've never heard of doing that.
That's an old trick that used to be used on mild steel exhaust systems,and at most it would add maybe a year to the life expectancy of the exhaust,unless you re-did it every 6 months.You were supposed to literally soak the pipes in tranny fluid for 24 hours before installing the exhaust.Another old trick i've seen done was to heat the pipes till they were basically cherry red,then quench them with motor oil or tranny fluid.