Rough Idle & Engine Cutting Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, so we have a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L HEMI V8 - 8 Speed Transmission, a couple of days ago, the truck decided to go into LIMP MODE which reduces the amount of speed the vehicle can go and threw a check engine light, so we just decided to pull over, and meanwhile the truck was sitting, we noticed that it was having a VERY rough idle, so bad that the whole truck was vibrating.

Later, we end up driving home very slowly and during the drive the engine decides to cut out and loose power, does anybody know about this or anybody that has experienced this?

This is a urgent issue and we need to get the truck fixed so we can drive it again, please let me know, thanks!

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You'll probably have to scan it if it threw a CEL. Do you have access to one or an auto parts store?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll probably have to scan it if it threw a CEL. Do you have access to one or an auto parts store?
^^^THIS^^^

First step any time the engine light pops on, scan it and read the code. Then you can hit the interwebs and see what the code means. You can get an OBD2 code reader for $50 or so from Jeff Bezos, or if you have an auto parts store nearby most of them will read the code for free.

OP
OP
RyanDavidPonter
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^THIS^^^

First step any time the engine light pops on, scan it and read the code. Then you can hit the interwebs and see what the code means. You can get an OBD2 code reader for $50 or so from Jeff Bezos, or if you have an auto parts store nearby most of them will read the code for free.
I already checked the code and I found out that it’s spark plugs, makes sense for the age of the truck.