Rough idle, missing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayesijuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2007 Ram 1500 with 4.7. Recently when I drive it in the morning it is fine but when I drive home from work in the afternoon it starts out alright and then when it warms up it starts to idle rough and when I get on the gas it sounds like it is missing. Same with on the freeway, if I try to get on it it chokes and pukes and then it will be half way decent. The only code that pops up is multi-plug miss, no kidding, and then it goes away over night then comes back when it starts again.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

"And the Lord said unto me, Join the Navy, go to far away ports, meet hot, passionate beauties, catch embarrassing, exotic diseases! Amen"

Last edited:

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2007 Ram 1500 with 4.7. Recently when I drive it in the morning it is fine but when I drive home from work in the afternoon it starts out alright and then when it warms up it starts to idle rough and when I get on the gas it sounds like it is missing. Same with on the freeway, if I try to get on it it chokes and pukes and then it will be half way decent. The only code that pops up is multi-plug miss, no kidding, and then it goes away over night then comes back when it starts again.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

"And the Lord said unto me, Join the Navy, meet hot, passionate beauties, catch embarrassing, exotic diseases! Amen"
I have the same issues and still haven't figured it out.

I've replaced a ton of things with no luck. Even the dealer couldn't figure it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ayesijuan

ayesijuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang it! Yah, you would think there would be code popping up but nothing and I had a cam position sensor replaced and one person said it could be another going out or a vacuum leak.

OP
OP
ayesijuan

ayesijuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang it! Yah, you would think there would be code popping up but nothing and I had a cam position sensor replaced and one person said it could be another going out or a vacuum leak.

OP
OP
ayesijuan

ayesijuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I've replaced so far:

Cam Sensor
Crank Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
Intake Air Temp Sensor
MAP Sensor
Coolant Temp Sensor
All 4 Oxygen Sensors
Magnaflow Y-pipe with Cats and Flowmaster Exhaust
All New Coils and Plugs
New Fuel Pump
EGR

I've replaced most of the grounds but still working on that.

I'm pretty much down to either the fuel injectors or the PCM. I'm just getting tired of throwing cash at it.

The last codes it there were the Multiple misfires and also a code for the cruise control. Thinking maybe the Cruise solenoid had a vacuum leak I pulled the vacuum line and capped it, but it made no difference.

OP
OP
ayesijuan

ayesijuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang, that is mucho dinero! I had a tune up last year with new plugs. Thinking maybe one or 2 are cracked or something. We pulled coils one by one with no change. Only 77k on engine. I have gotten gas cap warning a couple of times and just replaced fuel pump cuz it crapped out during this but that didn't change anything.
Hey, just thinking, have you checked head gasket? Mine seems to only do it when it heats up outside.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang, that is mucho dinero! I had a tune up last year with new plugs. Thinking maybe one or 2 are cracked or something. We pulled coils one by one with no change. Only 77k on engine. I have gotten gas cap warning a couple of times and just replaced fuel pump cuz it crapped out during this but that didn't change anything.
Hey, just thinking, have you checked head gasket? Mine seems to only do it when it heats up outside.
Mine shows no signs of a bad head gasket and it's intermittent. Doesn't seem to matter on the temp of the engine or the temp outside. literally hit or miss.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Could be your battery ? A faulty battery can do funky things to the electronics.

OP
OP
ayesijuan

ayesijuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got mine back from the shop. The mechanic disconnected the alternator and the miss went away. Thought it might be bad diodes in the alternator so changed out. Worked great for a few tests and then the day I picked it up it started again. Don't know if this alternator is bad also but this is perplexing!

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Made me cringe reading this cause I'll stay up for days trying to solve engine issues, can't sleep.

That said, I did everything mentioned to an Eagle Talon and finally after I exhausted every Avenue, replaced the ECU and problems resolved.

No codes for a ECU failure.