RPM surging on acceleration (5-35mph)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemiram07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey,
I have an 07 Ram 5.7L Hemi with around 145000 miles on it. When going between 5 and 15 mph, the rpms surge, the truck jolts forward (gently) and repetitively, and there is a low vroom, vroom, vroom sound as if I'm gently hitting the gas, even though I'm just applying steady pressure. It is the worst at around 10mph, but I have noticed it doing it rarely at around 20-35mph. Once I'm rolling at a good speed, it doesn't happen at all.

I recently replaced the Egr Valve because I had a p0404 code, everything went fine with that and the code is gone. This started happening right after I replaced the Egr Valve.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

OP
OP
H

hemiram07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I unplugged the Egr Valve, took a short test drive and the issue went away. Going to get a refund on the valve, and buy another one. Hopefully that fixes everything

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting. The EGR is up front on 5.7 isn't it? I take it uses the same gasket like the one for the 4.7?

OP
OP
H

hemiram07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the 5.7, yes it is near the front passengers side next to the alternator.
I don't think it's the same gasket with the 4.7, just looking at a photo comparing the two, the two egr valves are different. One of the gaskets is a completely different shape, and the other gasket seems to be a different size.