Running hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heavenlyride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 2012 ram1500 5.7. Had it since new. it started to get hot on long trips. Eventually getting close to overheating, would not dissipate the heat. I had the following done in effort to fix the problem:

-thermostat
-waterpump
-fan controller
-head gasket (both sides)
-fan clutch and fan.

still overheating…

last part to replace is radiator, but it seems to have good flow.

anyone have an idea of what may be causing this.

note: only when at 70+. And outside air is 90+

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Try water wetter, when you say thermo you went with a 180? Fins on radiator clogged up? Coolant been serviced regular with correct coolant? Pop a coolant line not too slimmed up? What did the water pump fins look like, from what you could see?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you ever at any point used stop leak in the coolant system? If so your radiator is shot. Also make sure you burp the air out of the system it can be a pain in the ass sometimes also not uncommon to get a bad new tstat.

This most likely is not your problem unless you overheated it really really bad multiple times. Recently I had a 2012 durango witha 5.7 blown head gaskets 2 ppl replaced them before me couldnt figure out why it would overheat I sent heads off had them redone. I replaced every single thing in the coolant system and it still kept overheating until finally i tore the engine down found 2 cracked cylinders every time it hit 200f would expand the cracks and boil over.

Last edited:

shortbus317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just had this same issue in my '12 1500. Prior owner used stop leak, which clogged in the water inlet in the head instead of the radiator. Water pump/therm/therm housing/heads swapped, now it runs at 210 in 100 degree weather.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just had this same issue in my '12 1500. Prior owner used stop leak, which clogged in the water inlet in the head instead of the radiator. Water pump/therm/therm housing/heads swapped, now it runs at 210 in 100 degree weather.
rmi25 takes anything in the lines and drops it in the overflow where you can take it out. Maybe try some, drive 500 miles and check overflow.