Runningboard mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep having problems with my runningboard mounts loosening up from the frame. The whole idea seems stupid. If you've ever installed runningboards you'll know what I mean. the bolt heads go through holes that match the hex heads exactly. You have to put the bolts through the hex head holes, turn them about 10 degrees to get them to grab the mismatch of the opening, hold the bolt tight from moving, then tighten the nuts. Why in the heck didn't they do keyhole shaped holes in the frame, so you could just drop them in? I've had to remount the brackets several times when they loosened up.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Show a pic of the problem. I might have a solution.
Like I've always told apprentices. There are no problems in life...just solutions looking for a home

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep having problems with my runningboard mounts loosening up from the frame. The whole idea seems stupid. If you've ever installed runningboards you'll know what I mean. the bolt heads go through holes that match the hex heads exactly. You have to put the bolts through the hex head holes, turn them about 10 degrees to get them to grab the mismatch of the opening, hold the bolt tight from moving, then tighten the nuts. Why in the heck didn't they do keyhole shaped holes in the frame, so you could just drop them in? I've had to remount the brackets several times when they loosened up.

I believe those “hex head holes” call for rivnuts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe those “hex head holes” call for rivnuts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yup those "Hex Heads" are made for rivnuts which fit into them. Then it's just the bolt you need not the nut. If you do the rivnuts. I highly recommend using a proper rib=vnut tool to install them. Makes it a lot easier to do.