No threads to put tow hooks on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mastaP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a ‘21 RAM 1500 limited. Realized it didn’t have tow hooks on it even though it is 4x4 with the off road package. No big deal I went ahead and bought the tow hooks from Rough Country. Didn’t need the bezel because it already had bezel’s around the holes in the bumper like it previously had tow hooks already.

When I got the hooks in and went to put them on, I realized I was mixing the factory bolt that goes through the frame. So I went to the dealership and bought two. Got back to put the tow hooks in and realized there is no threads in the holes to put a bolt in. Did not seem like I could put a long bolt through all the way with a nut on top, but that could be a possibility if I go through the engine compartment.

Has anyone else ran into this issue before?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

This vid may be of use. Are you sure the highly intelligent people at the dealership gave you long enough bolts?

OP
OP
M

mastaP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This vid may be of use. Are you sure the highly intelligent people at the dealership gave you long enough bolts?
Thanks for the video, it does seem like that! I’ll definitely go back and see about getting the right bolts.

OP
OP
M

mastaP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the video, it does seem like that! I’ll definitely go back and see about getting the right bolts.
Dealership having a hard time verifying the bolts and gonna take a while to get in. If anyone has specs on the bolts I would greatly appreciate it!

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Once you find the right size/length, I sometimes take a look at Tractor Supply in my area who for most things had what I'm needing in these situations. Hope this helps.

Grenadiers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The Tow Hooks I purchased on Amazon came with all the required hardware, including the long bolts. Took about 20 min. per side. Watched a YouTube video on the instalation. That helped. IIRC, the main bolts were at least 4" long and it passes up into the frame where there was a nut already in place to receive the bolt.

BTW, I am really glad I got these as they have already come in handy.

Not sure why they aren't included as "standard equipment" on any of the Ram line up that has the "towing option(s)" installed. Even if all they put on the truck at the plant was just the hitch receiver.

My '19 had almost everything for towing (I.e. Hitch Receiver, Transmission cooling towing kit and of course towing wiring setup). But it didnt come with the Brake Controler and/or the Tow Hooks. The Brake Controler I had installed the same month I picked up the truck. The Tow Hooks I installed myself earlier this year.

They are easy to install, as long as you have all the hardware of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mastaP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: Ended up finding the correct bolts at dealership. M12 about 10 inch long. Had to look for frame bolt instead of tow hooks.

Attachments

• IMG_2602.jpeg
    IMG_2602.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 9