Save that fuel!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cullen17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does that mean you have a 2012 R/T with barely 1000 miles on it total, or 1000 miles since YOU got it.

And I thought my 2012 was low @ 7200 miles total, bought brand new in july 2012.

1k since i bought it :p its got almost 26k miles on it

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
Run better oil. Seriously. Full synthetic (I run royal purple) will slightly increase your mpg's as your engine is working elss hard to turn. The same goes with your tranny fluid (run full synthetic) and your difs. I changed my oil and it changed everything, the truck goes into eco mode easier and it yields better mpg's (1-2 better).

Also, I popped in a high flow filter, it worked for me but my truck needed to breathe more, I am running the V6 3.6.

Good luck.

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
Some good threads on synthetic oil and MPG. It would cost the manufacturer $10 (at their wholesale cost) to uograde to synthetic. If it gave them a chance to increase MPG and CAFE govt standards, without having to pay millions in R&D on fuel saving, synthetic oil would be standard.

If it has an impact, it is so small that wouldn't be noticed in rounding.

It's benefit is longer change intervals, hold performance longer, over more diverse applications. For these reasons I am strong fan of synthetic. But with every switch in my cars, no MPG improvement, S expected. Great piece of mind on quality oil though.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I crunched a whole bunch of numbers. I have to work an extra 3.2 minutes of overtime a week, to make up the difference between 19 and 20 mpg. That's based on 14,000 miles per year and and 3.67 for 89 octane. In other words, on Thursdays, I'll just pee and wash my hands before I punch out.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Had a question and seems like the perfect thread to drop it in...

The HF InTune has a tune for both 87 Performance and Economy Booster.

For those using the 87 oct tune:

1) How is the 87 tune working for you?
2) Did you loose any mgh or gain mpg (about how much)?

For those using the economy tune:

1) Did you really get a decent boost in mpg (2-3)?
2) How is it performance wise (Does the truck feel sluggish and unresponsive)?

I'm looking at picking up a HF tuner. I'm leaning towards the InTune vs. the Trinity. Right now, I'm just looking to adjust for tire size and maybe get back some of the economy I lost upsizing my tires. I'm hoping that adjusting for the tire size also helps the computer adjust for better throttle response and transmission shift points to make for back to stock feel. Right now the truck feels a little sluggish off the line. I used to only lightly feather the pedal at take off to avoid tire spin. Now I have to mash the pedal a little to get the same take off and it feels like it boggs down an little.

Thanks in advance for input.

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have to x2 on the use of MDS. Typically I keep it out of Cruise Control because cruise tends to over accelerate to maintain speed and drops it out of MDS too much. I use a Scangauge to verify when it is in MDS. Use lowest octane fuel mostly. Accelerate modestly, but no more than 70% throttle. Coast A LOT rather than hard braking at every stop light/stop sign. Don't drive over 60 mph and get used to being passed. Tuners are great for MPGs (to increase timing) if you can pick one up for free. If you can't get at least 18 with a tuner, then change the way you drive. Don't add CAI or any bolt on ****. Your small 5.7 hemis should be getting better MPGs than my big 6.4 hemi.

Go to the ecomodder web site and read up on 100+ hypermiling tips - you will learn a lot by just reading and getting educated.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I still say the best way to increase MPG is to only drive down hill. :naughty:

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hemi64 & Casper :roflsquared:

Yeah, I didn't get the truck for high MPG. What I get now is waaaaay better than the 13-14 mpg I got on my 4 door wrangler with 35s, 4.88 gears, and all armored up. I know I'm getting better than the 15-16 mpg the computer is showing. I went to 295/60r20s but need the programmer to correct for speedometer and mpg. Before the new Nitto terragrapplers I was getting about 17 - 18 mpg according to the computer. I know the tires are taller and heavier, but the computer is also showing less miles traveled than what is actual. So I should be getting about .6 mpg better than the computer is showing and about 67.6 mph when the truck is reading 65. Not a big difference, only about a difference of 4%.

Just wondering how much of a difference the 87 tune and/or econo tunes are making.