Scan tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked heaps or in wrong section but I don't actually know the exact name of what I want.

Seeing as I'm so damn far from any Ram experts here, was thinking I should buy myself a basic scan tool to do occasional checks to hopefully catch anything and allow time to get bits shipped from US.

What brands/models etc should I look at ?

Or is there a better way to identify issues early ?

Cheers.
Bruce.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
You are looking for an automotive scan tool. They range from 60.00 usd to 3000.00 usd. Of course the cheaper scan tools just have basic functions and the more expensive have more functions.

Have you given any thought about a tuner for your RAM? Almost all of them have an option so you can read engine codes.

OP
OP
baff

baff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
I'm hoping to get away for it for $150 or so.

Netman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have that model and it's just fine. It will provide you with more info than you can really action anyway.

tysondodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, I own two scan tools, I bought one for myself and one for my dad. Got them for around $120. Then, I bought a bluetooth module off of Amazon for around $30, downloaded the software on my Android phone, and it does the exact same thing.

Since I started using my phone, I haven't used the tool since.