ThinkDiag scan tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jillshubby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, V8
Does anyone have experience with the ThinkDiag scan tool? It is on Amazon for $60, and you pick one "make" that it will work with. Additional makes cost extra per year. The fact that it does bi-directional scanning, coding, resets, etc. is a pretty huge selling point for me, since I only work on my own 2 cars.

What I'm wondering is what the extend of the functions will be after the first year is up. Will it still function with the last update you downloaded if you don't renew to the latest updates after one year, or will it only function as a basic obd2 tool with no manufacturer-specific functions after one year?

Also, does the $60 up front cost get you the reset functions, or do those functions cost more right out of the gate?

Would love to hear from anyone that has experience with it.
Thanks!

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I don’t have an experience with that particular tool, most of us with 2006+ trucks use AlfaOBD with an OBDLink scantool to generally good success.
I’ve used it on my 2006 extensively for checking module-specific trouble codes to enabling factory options that even dealers can’t or won’t do. They’ll cost a bit more initially, but free updates and dealer-level information and diagnostics in my opinion is worth the extra cost. It beats going to dealerships and getting told my truck is “too old” for their scantool lol

I found the tool you’re looking at on Amazon, and while it looks pretty neat, and I’m not sure how much capability you end up having with it on our Dodges. I haven’t been able to look into it too much. Whats other vehicle do you work on?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jillshubby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, V8
I only work on my family cars. Our other is a 2001 Honda Accord, and we will likely get a 2014ish Chevy Suburban in the near future.

xWJKx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins

Anyone able to confirm if THINKDIAG OBDII scanner is worth it for 3rd & 4th gen 5.9 Cummins?