Scared of 68RFE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TorqueWagon

Reaction score
Westmost point in the contiguous United States
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hi all. I will be upgrading to a 2022 3500 6.7 3.73 non HO with the RFE. Maybe I read too much, but I have come across many a horror story about theses transmissions.

My intended use is for my fencing company. A few times a month I may pull 10-12k around town for local jobs mostly. It will also be my daily driver. My understanding is as long as you don't hot rod or really push these transmissions they are fairly reliable. If and when they do break it is probably wise to bullet proof them.

I don't mind that thought, but I am hoping I can get some mileage on the stock one without issues. When we retire in a few years and hit the road I may bullet proof it at that time.

What has been your experience with theses in stock form with only occasional medium heavy use?

I am also debating the SRW vs DRW thing and know the pros and cons. I probably don't actually need it but once in a blue moon, but do kinda really just want the Dually. Then again hitting the road in a few years trailer in tow. I do tend to keep vehicles for 5 years + usually.

Thanks
Darryl.
I have a 2007 ram 3500 with the Cummins 6.7. my 68 rfe went 200,000 MI before I needed to rebuild it. It's a good tranny I worked it hard. What I would suggest is that you get a transmission temperature monitor and watch the temp doesn't go above 210 or so. If so pull over and cool it off. The toughest work on those is a hot day in stop and go in town traffic. After I rebuilt mine I also threw on an additional trans oil cooler since the oil cooler stock is pretty small. Mine runs around 160 on the freeway and in town it can get up to about 175. I just keep an eye on it. I did bulletproof mine at 200,000 and I'm going for half a million miles. I do a lot of towing as well. Don't hesitate. Just take care of it keep an eye on it feed it new tranny fluid regularly and make sure you don't burn the fluid. Tranny fluid breaks down around 220°. Oddly enough the highest temperatures I've seen on my tranny were when I was doing no trailering but going up a 35 mile an hour mountain road which was very steep and slow and a lot of shifting gears.

calkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 3500 Cummins Laramie 4x4, 2015 2500 Cummins SLT 4x4
Engine
I got 212k out of my 2015 68RFE before I sold it to get my 2021 3500 HO. I used that truck like it was designed to be used without issue. I don't abuse my equipment and always keep it maintained.

Shotch

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ATP in Colorado just came out with a fully turn key Allison swap that they will install. Kits will be available soon if not already to install at home too. They claim everything works, so cruise, sensors, cameras, etc still work.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'll remind folks that oil oxidizes @ twice the rate for every 20 degrees F above 140 degrees F. Tribology experts recommend keeping long life oils like transmissions and gears oils at 140 degrees F, no higher than 160 degrees F on occasion.

This whole crap about Chrysler sticking an orifice-sized thermostat in the transmission oil cooler line for 0.00000001 mpg extra is absurd. 175 degree F transmission oil temperature is NOT NORMAL for expected transmission oil change intervals of 50,000 miles. Period.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ATP in Colorado just came out with a fully turn key Allison swap that they will install. Kits will be available soon if not already to install at home too. They claim everything works, so cruise, sensors, cameras, etc still work.

With ATS's poor reputation in the diesel community (for transmissions) and the fact that the conversion is pretty much twice the price of a built 68 I honestly don't see them selling a lot of these. I applaud the ingenuity though.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What aftermarket transmission builder has a good reputation in the diesel community?