Scratch repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I’m totally new to this forum so I’m not sure if this belongs here or not...my son put what appears to be a pretty decent scratch in my truck.

It’s actually a 2 part question. 1) what products are out there for DIYers to disguise the scratch and 2) what are some punishments/ways I can make my son responsible? He’s 9 years old and is old enough to know better, and I want him to learn a lesson about the value of peoples things.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rub your fingernail over the scratch, if it catches then generally it's to deep to try to correct without re-painting. If you have any doubt about it I'd check with a professional detailer and see what they say. Sometimes they can be corrected by lightly sanding or rubbing compound or polish. If you have not had any experience in sanding I wouldn't try that yourself. You could however try a poilsh or a light compound and see if that helps correct the scratch. ALWAYS use the least abrasive solution first and if that doesn't do the job then you can move to a little more abrasive product. If you attempt to correct this scratch a good buffer and correct pads will almost be a must have. As for your son, discipline these days is quite different than when I grew up, so my views are completely different than "modern day" parents and I would prefer not to get into that hornets nest---sorry.
Jay

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rub your fingernail over the scratch, if it catches then generally it's to deep to try to correct without re-painting. If you have any doubt about it I'd check with a professional detailer and see what they say. Sometimes they can be corrected by lightly sanding or rubbing compound or polish. If you have not had any experience in sanding I wouldn't try that yourself. You could however try a poilsh or a light compound and see if that helps correct the scratch. ALWAYS use the least abrasive solution first and if that doesn't do the job then you can move to a little more abrasive product. If you attempt to correct this scratch a good buffer and correct pads will almost be a must have. As for your son, discipline these days is quite different than when I grew up, so my views are completely different than "modern day" parents and I would prefer not to get into that hornets nest---sorry.
Jay

In regards to the discipline, my gut was thinking on the line of giving him some vehicle cleaning type chores or maybe pulling the cost of touch up paint(depending on the cost) from his allowance.

Does anyone think touch up paint would mask the scratch? As much as I love my truck I’m probably not going to go the route of a professional paint job as long as my kids are at this ageso if there’s any chance of darkening this scratch that’s what I’m gonna go with.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Touch up paint may do the job--depends on how deep the scratch really is. i agree with your idea on having your son help with cleaning up the truck, under strict supervision. The reason I say that is I had a friend that bought a new black truck and one day his girlfriend thought she would be "helpful and wash it for him, but the wash mitt she used had a small piece of gravel in it----you can guess how it looked when she got through.
Jay

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Touch up paint may do the job--depends on how deep the scratch really is. i agree with your idea on having your son help with cleaning up the truck, under strict supervision. The reason I say that is I had a friend that bought a new black truck and one day his girlfriend thought she would be "helpful and wash it for him, but the wash mitt she used had a small piece of gravel in it----you can guess how it looked when she got through.
Jay

Agreed, he does wash the vehicles but tends to rush it. I think I’ll have him vacuum and wipe down the inside.

Y’all should’ve heard him when I brought the accusations to his attention...you’d a thought I was in an episode of law and orderhe started saying the angle was too far off to be his bike handle and that he doesn’t remember being in the area of the truck that time of the day

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
and he isn't even a teenager yet-----good luck my friend----LOL
Grandchildren are better--you can always send them home
Jay

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a new parent(son 4 and daughter 2) I would almost not want to turn that time with your son into punishment. I think I would try to either add more work for his allowance or like you said take the money from his allowance to pay for the supplies. To add to that maybe give him his allowance and make him give it back to you so he realizes he giving it back to you. Can't miss something you don't have it first. Just my idea since I have not experienced that yet. Please keep up posted on both situation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
In regards to the discipline, my gut was thinking on the line of giving him some vehicle cleaning type chores or maybe pulling the cost of touch up paint(depending on the cost) from his allowance.

Does anyone think touch up paint would mask the scratch? As much as I love my truck I’m probably not going to go the route of a professional paint job as long as my kids are at this ageso if there’s any chance of darkening this scratch that’s what I’m gonna go with.

Touch up paint according to the paint code get from a dealership only. That way you know it’s correct.

Punishments I’d have him clean it wash it polish the wheels.
If you have any trees pecan,oak, any kind that makes a mess then I’d make him pick up pecans (all of them) I done those things with my kids they learned to hate picking up pecans. I had 2 Peterbilt trucks and I’d make them polish all the chrome stainless steel aluminum. Every thing on the trucks as well as detailing the interior.
Ohh yeah BTW I raised 8 kids including 3 foster kids.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone, it’ll be a learning experience for the both of us.

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as the discipline is concerned, he’s not exactly pleased that he has to clean my truck but he now has a grasp on the fact that there are consequences to our actions. Like I said this was a learning experience for both of us, he won’t ride his bike through the vehicles anymore and I will park my truck at the neighbors house LOL.

03CAC7E1-0DF9-4EDB-9E9C-9730B4353A42.jpeg

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
As far as the discipline is concerned, he’s not exactly pleased that he has to clean my truck but he now has a grasp on the fact that there are consequences to our actions. Like I said this was a learning experience for both of us, he won’t ride his bike through the vehicles anymore and I will park my truck at the neighbors house LOL.

View attachment 142156

Good job Daddy

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road