SD Card Slot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have loaded music on an SD Card and inserted into the slot in the console, but nothing happens. What do I need to do to get it to work?
(And I am in the correct window in the radio/NAV screen)

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The card needs to be formatted in FAT-32 before you load music files, I think. My card just worked, plugged it in then the radio took maybe 10 seconds to see the 1600 songs and started playing from the top.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The card needs to be formatted in FAT-32 before you load music files, I think. My card just worked, plugged it in then the radio took maybe 10 seconds to see the 1600 songs and started playing from the top.

Is this the same for USB drives? My thumb drive with music keeps saying file error. I'm have the basic radio 3

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, any drive should be fat 32 formatted for most reliable play, although the most recent radios may be more tolerant.

Dunno what file error means to these radios, if the drive is in the wrong format I don't think that radio even detects it. File errors are generally corrupted music files, unsupported music file type, or a bad USB stick. You may want to try to reformat and reload the files (or just buy another card). Play them on another device (computer) to verify they are good.

The radio can only play a few file types, like MP3. If the music is in something like a FAC file, then the radio may have trouble with it. I loaded mp3 music files onto my SD card and they play well and the meta data is displayed on the radio screen (song title, artist, album). The supported file types depend on radio, I think. Your owners or radio manual should have a list of acceptable file types.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SportyJames

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought a different SD card. SDHC FAT 32. Works fine now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same thing happen. Bought a new SD card and it works great. I like it alot better than the USB stick. It's out of the way and leaves the USB port open for other stuff.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, any drive should be fat 32 formatted for most reliable play, although the most recent radios may be more tolerant.

Dunno what file error means to these radios, if the drive is in the wrong format I don't think that radio even detects it. File errors are generally corrupted music files, unsupported music file type, or a bad USB stick. You may want to try to reformat and reload the files (or just buy another card). Play them on another device (computer) to verify they are good.

The radio can only play a few file types, like MP3. If the music is in something like a FAC file, then the radio may have trouble with it. I loaded mp3 music files onto my SD card and they play well and the meta data is displayed on the radio screen (song title, artist, album). The supported file types depend on radio, I think. Your owners or radio manual should have a list of acceptable file types.

So after checking the format and file type, it is all correct, I have M4A files and MP3 files only on the USB Drive, but it still shows file error. I hate computers.

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What size drive are you trying to use? I don't recall the limit, but want to say it was 32gb? It was either 16 or 32 - just don't recall

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
If there's a limit, it's got to be higher than the 128MB SD card that I've been using in my 2015.