Seat belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brownie289

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did look at the interior section but didn't see much. The seat belts are not retracting well on my 2006 Ram.
They are also getting beat up from having been stuck in the door a few times. Any source on replacement belts? Or a fix to get them to retract better for now?

Thanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are a few things you could try. Pull the seat belt as far out as you can after taking off the panels that cover it and scrub it, they do get dirty over time and get harder to retract, or if you’re extremely careful and follow all appropriate safety measures disassemble the seat belt assembly and clean the spring and retractor assembly thing. Have to be careful though, the seat belt is part of the airbag system and is also literally a tiny stick of dynamite that explodes and retracts the belt in the event of a crash.

I personally bought a used one with low miles from a local junk yard. Much easier. Was like $25 if i remember correctly. Has worked for a year so far with no issues.

Ghostman

US Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 4x4, 2500
I agree, removing the trim panel, it can get very dirty in there, clean it out, compressed air, and some oil in the bearing area. fully extend and allow to retract many times will usually allow it to work itself out.
And if belt is chewed up from door, find a local salvage yard for a decent replacement, fairly cheap and easy to do, make sure to have the appropriate torx bit and ratchet, they are usually pretty tight.
Or you can opt to order a new one somewhere.