Seeking Real World RV Towing Experience via a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinManhal

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
TBD
If you have a RAM 1500 with a EcoDiesel Powertrain, and towing an RV TravelTrailer, I would like to know the weight of the RV and towing experience (hills, highway speed, etc.) along with your model year.

Why? I am considering purchasing a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel but I have reservations that it can easily and consistently pull my 8000 lb RV Trailer on the highway and hills.

Thank you,
Kevin

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am considering purchasing a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel but I have reservations that it can easily and consistently pull my 8000 lb RV Trailer on the highway and hills.
Keep in mind the torque pulls a trailer, last time I checked the Gen5 DT trucks with the EcoDiesel (3rd gen) has 480 ft/lbs @ 1600 rpms. The EcoDiesel will laugh at pulling that trailer and you will laugh at the Hemi trucks stopped at the gas stations filling up.
Granted mines a 2nd gen but I pulled a good 8K lbs enclosed trailer 250 miles and drove another 250 miles on 26 gallons of fuel(typical highway, no major grades).
There's a member on here that uses his '14 EcoDiesel to pull deliver Airstream trailers across the country(truck is approaching a million miles but that's another story).

As with pulling a trailer with a 1500, set up of the WDH is the paramount for smooth towing. You'll want to fully load the truck/trailer combo and weigh the set up on a CAT scale, once with both together (WDH attached) then drop the trailer and weigh just the truck. You can determine the tongue weight percentage and how the WDH is set up. You want about 10-12% tongue, return the lost weight to the front wheels and make sure the rear axle is heavier than the front.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
May also want to confirm the payload capacity on the truck you are looking at is up to ***** for towing 8000 lbs. Tongue weight will be pushing 1000 lbs (and may exceed it depending on the travel trailer), plus another 100 lbs for WDH and the weight of any cargo/passengers you have in the truck.

Weight adds up quick.

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2016 did just fine with about the same weight trailer. I did try and keep it as light as possible, tanks etc. The ONLY time I had an issue was long steep climbs in Colorado, the temp rose but well within normal. Loved that truck but had to finally sell when they couldnt fix some serious recall issues. Use your gearing to find a good speed for the load.

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I had a 2015 EcoDiesel 1500 and fully loaded a trailer that was 35' and maybe pushing 8500lbs. The power was good, the brakes felt good. the wind, not so good. I think the truck was too light and suspension too soft. I upgraded to a 2500 MegaCab Cummins. I have since sold both the 2500 and the 35' camper. I'm back in a EcoDiesel but just a 22' camper at about 4000lbs.

OP
OP
K

KevinManhal

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
TBD
Thank you for the feedback. And regarding the “power was good” - was the EcoDiesel able to keeps steady 65MPH on interstate rolling hills. And if so, what about steeper hills.

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
the 8 speed and Tow/Haul mode will generally keep it in the right gear to maintain 65 on an interstate. You might just be dropping down to lower gears and spinning the engine a little more. as mentioned above, 8000lbs is definitely pushing into 2500 territory. if you got an eco diesel, you probably want the 3.92 gears. I'd be more worried about the wind than the weight. an 8000lb camper typically has a lot of surface area. It's like hauling a sailboat with the sail up :)

Spindle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Have had my 2015 EcoDiesel for 5 years now. I built an enclosed trailer into a toy hauler and it weighed around 8k loaded. We rode Atv’s and SXS in West Va, Tennessee, Southwest Va, Georgia, camped in Florida all from VA. Trailer was 32’ Nose to tail with 7’ high walls. WDH, air lift 5000 air bag system, shocker hitch, sway control. Had no issues maintaining 65. 10-15 mpg in tow mode. AFE oil pan and AFE trans pan. Just added the FASS Fuel System. S&B cold air intake, upgraded rear sway bar adjustable. Love my truck. Current TT is 25’ long and weighs around 6600lbs. Pulls that great too. Banks Derringer and Pedal Monster as well. 25-32 MPG not pulling the trailer.

Spindle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Looking at the AFE inter cooler kit now. Not sure if it’s worth it or not tho. Think it will be more of a cosmetic thing than performance.