Seized or rusted spare tire cable or lift mechanism

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well, luckily it all happened in my driveway, but I ran over a screw today somewhere close to home. Backed in and then the low tire pressure ding went off… 81, 81, 81, 52. That’s a problem.

Got the tire off, but when I went to lower the spare tire, it just spun and spun and the tire didn’t move. Got under the truck and ensured the tool was engaged and it was spinning. Nothing, so I decided to tighten it up to see if that helped any. Still nothing. I could turn the tool with my hands, didn’t really feel like it was doing anything.

Pull the tool out of the hole and it’s covered in rust. So, I’m assuming either the cable or the lowering mechanism rusted out (New to me truck, it lived in Texas since new (1-owner)).

I’m getting the tire fixed, but any thoughts on the spare? How to get it out and replace the mechanism or whatever is rusted? Its holding up tight to the space its supposed to be in.

I was thinking maybe using my shop jack to apply upward pressure on the tire and undoing the catch, but I don’t know if there is enough upward movement. I think there is a bolt holding that on too, maybe I could undo that? Just worried with what happens to the spare tire in either of those options. Middle aged weakling here.

TIA.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should be able to cut the cable from the bottom (be sure to put some Jack's under the tire so it doesn't knock you down)

Then I'd imagine you can unbolt the winch mechanism and replace it

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What he said. ^^
A torch will make short work of the cable and let the tire fall down, but you should be able to cut it also.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't add to what has been suggested to remove the spare, but to prevent this from happening, I do preventive maintenance on mine once a year. I have a "Steelman" spare tire tool which is one piece for lowing the spare. I use chain/cable lube on the cable, and lube the other moving parts. The one piece tool makes it easier, and smoother to lower and raise. When the spare is down, I clean up the inside of the wheel, and use 303 protestant on the tire to help preserve the rubber. Maybe a little "****" but as the old saying goes, "an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

1708607198026.jpeg

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They do come in handy!
It might be easier to cut the bracket that holds the tire up with a sawzall than cutting the cable itself.

Or do you have a cutoff wheel? Grinder that you can put a cutoff wheel on? etc.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My dad had the same issue with his. Cut it, and instead of replacing the mechanism that will just rust out again he used an old ratchet strap to put it back up.

OP
OP
David Langford
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking I'm cutting the cable. Mopar replacement is $230. I can do after-market cheaper, but I think I'll bite the bullet and do it right. I will also start with annual lube. Rust isn't so much of a problem here in the desert, but I guess it's worth 20 or 30 minutes of my time. Can't imagine what I would have done if this happened out on the road!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
When I get my truck Krown sprayed yearly I drop my spare down all the way and lube everything up. Also using a tiny nozzle and they spray the heck out of the mechanism as well.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the reminder! I hose my winch down annually (or try to) with Fluid Film and/or WD40 to help keep the rust at bay.

Lowering the spare the first time with the OEM kit, is when I encountered the stubborn jack retaining knob on my '14. The original design is a through bolt that rusts in place since it's exposed to the elements under the truck.

The newer trucks have a threaded stud that replaces the retaining knob (with its' threaded shaft). The stud remains in place and the retaining knob can be removed without a big fight.

I don't have the PN, but the truck can be updated to the new design very easily and will probably save you a big headache on some rainy night.

I think it was the first thing I did to my truck when I bought it. I learned about it here! Thanks!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am no help but I drop the spare every year before I get the truck KROWN sprayed !
I would assume weasel pis s (WD40 or any penetrating oil ) would also help!
Hope removal on the assembly goes smooth

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Let some air out of the tire and start kicking it hard to move it back and forth spray the gear box and cable and try again

Kroil Original Penetrating Oil (Drip-8oz Can-Single) | Penetrant for Rusted Bolts, Metal, Hinges, Chains, Moving Parts | Rust, Corrosion Inhibitor (KL081)
https://a.co/d/iErR4PU

Sea Foam Seafoam Extreme Marine & Rv DC-14 Seafoam Deepcreep Aerosol 12 Oz.
https://a.co/d/iBWKHnW

There are a few junk yards in Nevada find a “pick a part” and or call and see if any of them have the spare carrier gear.

I just check ebay inventory and they have an assortment of new and used for under $90

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I am no help but I drop the spare every year before I get the truck KROWN sprayed !
I would assume weasel pis s (WD40 or any penetrating oil ) would also help!
Hope removal on the assembly goes smooth
You know every truck owner with a full size spare under tbeir truck in the suburbs places a cable lock through there spare so they don’t get taken…

A padlock under there needs to be oiled too or you have another problem to deal with (another cable to cut) on the side of the road .
The OP is really fortunate to discover it in his driveway

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
It’s debatable from the standpoint of either offset of the tire’s rim facing up or facing down
PRO:
Facing up with least amount of space between the rim and the truck frame dissuades rodents and or reptiles from seeking shelter
CON:
but off-road it is disadvantageous because it allows a high point to hang-up on for approach angles.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
You know every truck owner with a full size spare under tbeir truck in the suburbs places a cable lock through there spare so they don’t get taken…

A padlock under there needs to be oiled too or you have another problem to deal with (another cable to cut) on the side of the road .
The OP is really fortunate to discover it in his driveway
I agree he was lucky to be near home vs. way out somewhere! I do not lock my spare as I am rural but that is a good idea in many areas !

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
in the image that i posted
the spare tire & rim came that way from the factory

Parts Geek carries the OEM Tire Hoist for about $60

Go to a motorcycle supplys store & get some Chain Lube, i use PJ 1

Stevewhitts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, luckily it all happened in my driveway, but I ran over a screw today somewhere close to home. Backed in and then the low tire pressure ding went off… 81, 81, 81, 52. That’s a problem.

Got the tire off, but when I went to lower the spare tire, it just spun and spun and the tire didn’t move. Got under the truck and ensured the tool was engaged and it was spinning. Nothing, so I decided to tighten it up to see if that helped any. Still nothing. I could turn the tool with my hands, didn’t really feel like it was doing anything.

Pull the tool out of the hole and it’s covered in rust. So, I’m assuming either the cable or the lowering mechanism rusted out (New to me truck, it lived in Texas since new (1-owner)).

I’m getting the tire fixed, but any thoughts on the spare? How to get it out and replace the mechanism or whatever is rusted? Its holding up tight to the space its supposed to be in.

I was thinking maybe using my shop jack to apply upward pressure on the tire and undoing the catch, but I don’t know if there is enough upward movement. I think there is a bolt holding that on too, maybe I could undo that? Just worried with what happens to the spare tire in either of those options. Middle aged weakling here.

TIA.
Sometimes the tire "welds" itself to the frame above. Suggest you have a helper pull down on the hanger bracket while you crank it down. If the bracket drops, then hit the side of the spare with a sledge or pry it down to see if you can break it free. Your truck is not that old and you really shouldn't have rusting issues yet. Mine is a 08 and I'm still working fine with a little rust showing.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
After a fairly tough Baja trip my tire was almost dragging on the ground. I bought a replacement winch and use a ratchet strap attached to the frame rails and run across the spare. This is bulletproof and takes the load off the winch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357