Seized or rusted spare tire cable or lift mechanism

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not that I've ever done it, but make sure that you have inserted the rods correctly, end to end, because if you get them backwards the noise they make sounds alot like what you described. Not that I would know from personal experience!

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking I'm cutting the cable. Mopar replacement is $230. I can do after-market cheaper, but I think I'll bite the bullet and do it right. I will also start with annual lube. Rust isn't so much of a problem here in the desert, but I guess it's worth 20 or 30 minutes of my time. Can't imagine what I would have done if this happened out on the road!
Dorman 925-512, $95 on Amazon. Worked fine for me.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wonder if you could spray the hell out of it with a penetrating oil while still up and let it sit for a day two and let the air out and a jack under the rim would be enough to unhook the cable, if the HD are the same as the 1/2ton

Reminds me ,I don't think I tested mine this fall, and temp here just dropped -18c in 4 hours so it will wait for a while .
think the last time I had a tire off was on my 1995 Ram, on the way to Calgary, Ab. with a load on.
Before tire monitors, they are handy things when you get a few years on.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
another thought, take a long wire and poke around in the end where the handle goes, if it's full of rust and dirt, maybe your handle is not hooking up to the winch, why it just spins, air hose may help and a good light to look in there.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let some air out of the tire and start kicking it hard to move it back and forth spray the gear box and cable and try again

Kroil Original Penetrating Oil (Drip-8oz Can-Single) | Penetrant for Rusted Bolts, Metal, Hinges, Chains, Moving Parts | Rust, Corrosion Inhibitor (KL081)
https://a.co/d/iErR4PU

Sea Foam Seafoam Extreme Marine & Rv DC-14 Seafoam Deepcreep Aerosol 12 Oz.
https://a.co/d/iBWKHnW

There are a few junk yards in Nevada find a “pick a part” and or call and see if any of them have the spare carrier gear.

I just check ebay inventory and they have an assortment of new and used for under $90
Ziebart drops mine every year because they won't spray around the tire.

On my 2010 the first time I tried to drop the spare, I could see the cable unspooling into a knot, so I just kept pulling downward until I could get the entire cable out. then lube the heck out of it.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 106821 miles.