Shell canopy thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be interested to know as my buddy is also looking for a shell. Funny the snugtop dealer finally emailed me back today and quoted me $3200 for a super sport. I'm like I'm good with my $600 dollar one haha. Could buy 3 of them and get them all painted for that price.

damn...you could have yours reshaped near the cab and painted, and STILL be under that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TE="dearchristopher, post: 1966079, member: 35968"]i-bTWHpCk-X5.jpg

you could always sell and keep your eyes peeled for a 3rd gen. Mine is from a 3rd gen 2500, dropped right on the truck. i did have to mod the rear glass, but i love the damn thing.

if its not flexing into the cab, i say keep it. it looks great.

Interesting didn't know a 3rd gen would fit. That's a good looking shell! I'm thinking of trying to find some type of rubber to fill some of the gap similar to how the bed and cab have a gap filler. Maybe I can just buy some of the bed rubber as that would work well[/QUOTE]

that’s not a bad idea. would keep things clean during rain and dust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice setup. What's the dimension when its folded?
Haven't measured but it doesn't take much space, you can leave it in the bed, (it'll be a good idea to get the cover they sell with it) or 10secs more to remove the pins holding it and you can take it off the truck. There is a lot of videos that cover install and operation i just don't want to clutter the OP thread with softoper stuff so i'll leave just one more for you to see. But you can check Youtube for more, and there is a huge thread in one of the Tacoma forums about Softopers and everything you need to know about them. That's how i got hooked into them.. I was frustrated cause i couldn't find a damn hard top for $600, lol.
This video shows how it folds down

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think if it was color matched, no one would ever notice.....$600 is a great price. I'd have it painted or dipped and let 'r go as is...

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Because you have it installed and I'll assume it functions for your needs, IIWM, I'd wouldn't do anything to it except use it and keep looking for one that fits properly. It may take some time but 4th gen Quad caps should be out there as it was a popular option. When you find one, just sell the one you have and change the new one to match your truck.

Be aware that there is a difference between the quad and crew cab also IIRC.

You might want to check and see if yours also fits a crew cab, that would wide your market to sell it considerably.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because you have it installed and I'll assume it functions for your needs, IIWM, I'd wouldn't do anything to it except use it and keep looking for one that fits properly. It may take some time but 4th gen Quad caps should be out there as it was a popular option. When you find one, just sell the one you have and change the new one to match your truck.

Be aware that there is a difference between the quad and crew cab also IIRC.

You might want to check and see if yours also fits a crew cab, that would wide your market to sell it considerably.

I thought about that but I'm thinking I'll keep it after having it on for a few days. The gap isn't really bugging me and I've been looking at a lot of trucks in parking lots, etc and have noticed that quite a few don't have a perfect gap. Plus I think once color matched you would never really notice it. Not to mention it took like a year just to find this one at this price. Since most people tend to mark them too high or are selling an older or lower end model and I like the look of the more modern ones like I found.

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking at my cap after reading this thread, and I noticed that depending on the angle, mine looks like it has an uneven gap, too. And mine was factory ordered. The edge of the cap and the edge of the truck cab have different compound curves, so I don't think your current cap is that bad. It's a little more pronounced than the "proper" cap, but it's not that much off. Especially for the price difference.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quad cab caps are a dime a dozen around here. The 5.7" are alot harder to find used and command a good buck if you do find one.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

We have a lot of quads as well and a ton of Rams in general. The hard part is finding a newer more modern styled shell as most seem to be like 10 years old

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Haven't measured but it doesn't take much space, you can leave it in the bed, (it'll be a good idea to get the cover they sell with it) or 10secs more to remove the pins holding it and you can take it off the truck. There is a lot of videos that cover install and operation i just don't want to clutter the OP thread with softoper stuff so i'll leave just one more for you to see. But you can check Youtube for more, and there is a huge thread in one of the Tacoma forums about Softopers and everything you need to know about them. That's how i got hooked into them.. I was frustrated cause i couldn't find a damn hard top for $600, lol.
This video shows how it folds down

Wow! thank you for sharing. You also answered the other questions i have.

rikguy33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TE="dearchristopher, post: 1966079, member: 35968"]i-bTWHpCk-X5.jpg

you could always sell and keep your eyes peeled for a 3rd gen. Mine is from a 3rd gen 2500, dropped right on the truck. i did have to mod the rear glass, but i love the damn thing.

if its not flexing into the cab, i say keep it. it looks great.

Interesting didn't know a 3rd gen would fit. That's a good looking shell! I'm thinking of trying to find some type of rubber to fill some of the gap similar to how the bed and cab have a gap filler. Maybe I can just buy some of the bed rubber as that would work well[/QUOTE]

I just bought a topper and I have the same issue with the rear window not clearing the bump on the tailgate. What did you do to modify that?

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting didn't know a 3rd gen would fit. That's a good looking shell! I'm thinking of trying to find some type of rubber to fill some of the gap similar to how the bed and cab have a gap filler. Maybe I can just buy some of the bed rubber as that would work well

I just bought a topper and I have the same issue with the rear window not clearing the bump on the tailgate. What did you do to modify that?[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure what you mean by clearing the tailgate bump? I didn't have to modify. It sat on and closed fine.

rikguy33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My tailgate has a lip that wont allow the window to close completely. I think I'll need to remove the rubber strip and maybe cut some aluminum to make it fit.

20190314_122238.jpg

20190314_122616.jpg

20190314_122305.jpg

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the cap roofline lower than the cab roofline? Maybe if you got some stiff rubber gasket or something similar to lift the cap an inch or so, it would level out the roofs, and give you clearance for the tailgate to close.

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i bought my topper the guy gave me a new plastic piece for the top of tailgate. But I've never installed it and I have a .5" gap between gate and window.

So wondering if you guys need a different tailgate cap?

I'm not concerned about mine as I only plan on using it for the winter months.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

rikguy33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that lifting the cap an inch or so would be the answer. I just need to decide what to use to raise it. I'll take a walk thru a local surplus store this weekend and see what might work.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7