Should I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfaas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey guys,

I'm new here as I'm looking to purchase my first Ram. I've been looking for a while and I finally found one that I like.

Here's the rundown -

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Regular Cab, Long Bed
5.7 Hemi
56k miles
Auto

I've only seen pictures so far but it looks really clean and unmolested especially for being ten years old. I plan on going to check it out tomorrow but the problem is that the dealer is asking $13,500 for it. I looked up the book value and it's only around $7,500. I plan on talking them down but who knows how low I can get them.

Do you think it's worth it at that price? I am located in Mass if that helps.

Thanks

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
If book value is only 7500 bucks and they're asking 13,500 something's off somewhere.

I wouldn't give 13,500 for a 10 year old truck personally, especially a standard cab long bed. 4x4?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy crap! They're asking almost double book! WOW!
1st thing to do, is verify that you're booking it properly. Are you using NADA or KBB?
Ain't no one care about KBB. NADA is getting that way, but still more respected.

All you can do is go in with a printout from NADAGuides dot com and see if they are willing to pay. Now don't think NADA is a set price either, it's a market average. So you gotta remember there are some going for $4,500 and others going for 10,500.

If it's a truck you'll keep forever, it's in a condition worthy of it and you have the $, price be damned!

Make sure you post up some pictures either way!

IMO, a 10 year old truck, non diesel, not worth much over 10k.

OP
OP
B

bfaas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If book value is only 7500 bucks and they're asking 13,500 something's off somewhere.

I wouldn't give 13,500 for a 10 year old truck personally, especially a standard cab long bed. 4x4?

Yes it's 4x4 sorry should have clarified.

OP
OP
B

bfaas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Holy crap! They're asking almost double book! WOW!
1st thing to do, is verify that you're booking it properly. Are you using NADA or KBB?
Ain't no one care about KBB. NADA is getting that way, but still more respected.

All you can do is go in with a printout from NADAGuides dot com and see if they are willing to pay. Now don't think NADA is a set price either, it's a market average. So you gotta remember there are some going for $4,500 and others going for 10,500.

If it's a truck you'll keep forever, it's in a condition worthy of it and you have the $, price be damned!

Make sure you post up some pictures either way!

IMO, a 10 year old truck, non diesel, not worth much over 10k.

Okay I think you are right in the fact that I may have booked it wrong.

I looked on NADA and it's saying around $12k retail price. This still seems a little high to me though.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That's also an early year HEMI for RAM. Listen for the 'tick' you may be able to bargain down on it. Also, HEMI plugs have to be changed every 30K miles. Ask them if they've done it or have a record. Might get you some leverage in negotiations.

Go at the end of the month not right now. Quota sweat is your strongest negotiations tool, the sales staff has to get their numbers in and th manager needs to make his gross sales target for the month. 30 and 31 October are your best bet assuming its still on the lot.

butters90

Reaction score
Stationed: Scott AFB, IL Hometown: Fairfield, MT
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
show them the KBB print out at how much its worth. I did that with my wifes trailblazer I got for her. They had it listed at 10K and the printout only said around 7k. I showed them all of the stuff and asked if they disagree on any of the information i put in to get that value. Plus, dealers always try and make money. Thats their job. The less you try and fight a lowered price the faster they get your money... if you buy it cause most salesmen are on commision. Half the time, as long as your really interested... they will work with you. Even if you say your going elsewhere. They will try and keep you there or ask why you dont want to buy it.

OP
OP
B

bfaas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That's also an early year HEMI for RAM. Listen for the 'tick' you may be able to bargain down on it. Also, HEMI plugs have to be changed every 30K miles. Ask them if they've done it or have a record. Might get you some leverage in negotiations.

Go at the end of the month not right now. Quota sweat is your strongest negotiations tool, the sales staff has to get their numbers in and th manager needs to make his gross sales target for the month. 30 and 31 October are your best bet assuming its still on the lot.

Thanks for the help. I actually work in automotive advertising so I definitely understand how dealers work. My only worry is that it won't make it to the end of the month but then again at that list price maybe it will.