Should I stay away from Hemi because if breaking manifold bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apparently, Hemi's are well known ( at least in the Rams) for breaking exhaust manifold bolt over time. I understand it's due to different metal expansion rates, but Chrysler/Fiat is not doing anything about it unless your vehicle is still under warranty. Once warranty is out, you're on your own.

Would this be a reason for someone to stay away from the Hemi's, if buying a slightly used Ram?
I'm shopping a little bit right now, and would love a Hemi, but don't want to have to keep paying for broken bolts, and the labor to remove and replace them.

Anyone know how costly it is to do?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Every car has its’ issues. Yes, this issue can be expensive, but if it happens have the mechanic replace all of them at once with a stronger bolt so it doesn’t happen again. I have 63000 on my 2013 Ram 1500 and I don’t have any issues. I say, if you like the Ram buy it and enjoy it and worry about the exhaust bolts if or when they happen. I’m enjoying my truck and I would buy it again if I had the same choice. If you want to play it safe replace the manifold bolts before they break or have the history checked to see if they’ve already been placed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Every vehicle has common issues. They all have their quirks as well.

In my opinion the exhaust bolt issue isn’t a reason to stay away from them.

As long as the trucks under warranty I wouldn’t worry about it. You can always throw a set of headers on and use stage 8 bolts and you’ll probably never have an issue.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I had a 3rd generation ram 4.7 and it happened on it also,replaced them myself,It was a p.i.t.a but not that bad.Sprayed wb40 on them night before and ran truck for 5 minutes before I took them out.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Had 02 Dakota 4.7, manifold bolts, 08 f150 5.4 (2 times). Your understanding the reason was correct. Buy what you like.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
If the manifold bolts break, it'll be prime time for headers and stainless hardware! Buy the Hemi and start saving immediately!

If they do break isn’t it catastrophic failure? Just happened to my dads 1997 F-150 totaled the whole truck because it blew a head gasket. Not cost effective to get new engine so he had to get a new truck.. Also I’ve heard that the bolts need to match the engine block. We have cast iron block I think with aluminum bolts if I’m not mistaken. Starting to think I’m meshing a bunch of things together now hah my bad.

So maybe headers and new bolts preventatively beforehand is a good idea? Question is, which bolts and street legal headers to get.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Were talking exhaust manifold bolts not cylinder head bolts. Big difference. The worst thing a broken exhaust manifold bolt causes is an exhaust leak.

@NY What Tach_tech said is right. The bolts that broke on your Ford were cylinder head bolts not exhaust manifest bolts

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Haha had a feeling I was mixing the two up early AM. Thanks guys! Hopefully don’t need to worry about that issue on the Hemi. Also exhaust manifold leak from what I’ve heard gets the rep of the “Hemi tick”.

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012 Ram had the driver side manifold studs break just before I reached the 100k extended warranty. No problem since they were taken care of by warranty. The passenger side broke at 164K and luckily my neighbor is a Dodge dealership Mechanic, who happened to specialize in Ram's. I bought the replacement parts from the dealership he asked for and he did the repairs. Took about 4 hours and cost me $200.00 parts and labor. I drove the truck to over 300K before trade in and no further leaks. I bought the FCA Lifetime Warranty on my 2018 to eliminate just such recurrences on this one.

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha had a feeling I was mixing the two up early AM. Thanks guys! Hopefully don’t need to worry about that issue on the Hemi. Also exhaust manifold leak from what I’ve heard gets the rep of the “Hemi tick”.

Exactly. I had a broken bolt for awhile, 5k miles. No probs just a leak and sounded like crap.

You could run some shorty headers or longtubes with cats to be legal. Just make sure the hardware is stainless steel. I do recommend not using the gaskets that come with the headers and get the OEM gaskets.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Exactly. I had a broken bolt for awhile, 5k miles. No probs just a leak and sounded like crap.

You could run some shorty headers or longtubes with cats to be legal. Just make sure the hardware is stainless steel. I do recommend not using the gaskets that come with the headers and get the OEM gaskets.

Saving this for later, thanks!! Might sound more aggressive too [emoji41]

ptuttle78

Reaction score
I have a 2013 ram that I replaced the bolts on myself all in a days work

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies. *sigh* I hate the thought of having to get this fixed every so many miles. I don't have the free time to do it myself. If I want to replace with aftermarket headers, to avoid the issues, I'd have to pay a shop to do that for me. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to bite that bullet.

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may possibly be able to take a stock bolt/stud and go to a fastener business and tell them you need it in stainless steel.. you may have to ditch the stock heat shields and just get a bolt. My headers have been on for over two years with the stainless bolts and no probs. I'm in the north east.. hot and cold.

You don't need headers just to replace with better hardware. It's just thread and pitch.