Should I stay away from Hemi because if breaking manifold bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 ram that I replaced the bolts on myself all in a days work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
?
Did you do it before they broke and did they all come out without breaking. I have 48000 on mine and no broken bolts yet, and wondering if I should try changing the bolts.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apparently, Hemi's are well known ( at least in the Rams) for breaking exhaust manifold bolt over time. I understand it's due to different metal expansion rates, but Chrysler/Fiat is not doing anything about it unless your vehicle is still under warranty. Once warranty is out, you're on your own.

Would this be a reason for someone to stay away from the Hemi's, if buying a slightly used Ram?
I'm shopping a little bit right now, and would love a Hemi, but don't want to have to keep paying for broken bolts, and the labor to remove and replace them.

Anyone know how costly it is to do?

Two F150's I had needed exhaust manifolds and bolts were broken when the job was done.
One Jeep cherokee sport same issue...

I would say it is a common TRUCK problem, period.

Brandon F Porche

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 6-Ich Lift
Engine
Hey, don't let that discourage you. In my case (16 RAM 4x4 Sport) it will be a great reason to install some long tube headers, and replace the bolts.

Eric Grayson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's really not that expensive to fix if you do it your self or have a good relationship with your mechanic.
I spent $360.00 to tap out two broken bolts and replace with OEM and add Flowmasters muffler.
Looking back...yes wish I would have had the mechanic replace with long headers..

Dave H.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More than exhaust manifolds, its the roller tappets. Like a time bomb in our motors.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should stay away from the Rams because of it. And Chevys too, that had some similiar issues. Ford is off the table too, with issues with their 5.4 triton engines, and other issues with their ecoboost. And all diesels are showstoppers too, with all of the new EPA restrictions and ensuing trouble. Toyotas had a known issue with chassis corrosion, so scratch them off too.

Maybe we should just buy cars. I had a nice AWD Subaru Outback, but some Subies were known to have head gasket issues. I was going to trade it in for a little Honda Civic, but they had problems with their 4 cylinders making oil.

All new vehicles are better than they were 40 years ago, and all vehicle lines still have some sort of problems. These problems tend to be exaggerated.

gapi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Interesting, I have a 13 Charger 5.7 and regulate all the forums and never heard of it. Must be a truck issue, inferior bolts or over torqued @assembly or both?
Then some Charger Hemis had the timing chain & tensioner disaster. Did the trucks have this?

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much every engine out there with cast iron log manifolds breaks a few manifold bolts. Been going on for as long as I can remember. I don't think the Hemi's are any worse than others. Most people will never experience it.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like one of the poster above said, it’s an overrated issue. I have had 5 Hemi’s since 2004 and not a major issue with any of them. I only change because I wanted another color or I just wanted another truck. Other than the recalls and software updates not an issue.

Buy what you really want and enjoy it. It makes making that monthly payment much easier if your are driving what you truly want. There is not an automotive line out there that doesn’t have some inherent issue with something.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never heard of this potential issue. I had a 2008 RAM HEMI with 120k miles and the only thing other than a battery, brakes, and outer tie rod replacement, I would drive it anywhere. I have a 2016 RAM HEMI with 44k miles with only software updates. I did get the lifetime warranty which I paid off in January. I drove it from Houston to Douglas GA to get a cargo trailer and back with no problems.

If you google it, you'll find lots of people who have this. Many are wondering why Chrysler isn't saying much about it, and wondering why there isn't a recall on it.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, don't let that discourage you. In my case (16 RAM 4x4 Sport) it will be a great reason to install some long tube headers, and replace the bolts.

It's not the bolt issue that's bothering me anymore. During this conversation, it came to light that the cam/lifter issue is a much larger problem. Pretty expensive fix, or so it seems.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys, something new has come to light during this conversation. I could live with the manifold bolt problem, but the cam/lifter issue is way more concerning. Frankly, it's scaring me away from the hemi.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Friend of mine just had both exhaust manifolds and bolts replaced... His is a 2014 hemi truck with only 17,000 miles on it. He lives 2 miles from work... i think the issue at hand might be the short distances... heat cycling up & down to often may be a contributing factor... i dont know, but there is obviously something going on with why some break, and others don't. (???)

I have owned 4x4 QC hemi sport trucks ever since 2003 (all bought brand new), every one of them traded in for the next hemi truck (after 2 to 3yrs of owning), none under 80,000 miles when traded in, not once did i ever have any exhaust bolts break on ANY of them since 2003. Never any trouble with ANY of the hemi`s i`ve owned. I`ve never had problems with cams and or lifters in the hemi`s either. Maybe people dont use good oil, maybe they`re smashing the gas pedal to much? I`m at a loss as to why some people seem to have trouble, but many others do not.

And i had a 07 R/T hemi charger, a bad starter when new, never a lick of problems after that. Now i have a 14 R/T AWD hemi charger, had a heater motor go bad @15,000 miles. Now i`m well over 70,000 miles on the charger, not one lick of problems with it. My 18 hemi sport, ZERO issues in 18,000 miles, with exception to the radio hub that gave the remote start feature some issues, was replaced. Other than that, RAM trucks are all i`ll ever buy. I`ve seen way to many issues with the other brands out there. I`ll stick with the HEMI!

To the OP, if you take care of a RAM, it will likely take care of you! But what i CAN tell you is, i`ve had the best luck with RAM trucks over any other brand out there. And i drive ALOT of different vehicles. I also see and hear ALL the horror stories from all of my truck buddies, that DONT own a hemi RAM truck. Some of my truck buddies have finally seen the light, and are now hemi truck owners. If i were you, and you`re looking at used ones, do check the service records and car fax reports BEFORE you plunk down the cash. See if there might also be a transferable warranty that might come with the truck too. Do your homework before you buy it. A little work now, can save you alotta work later.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have had 3 trucks, never had a broken bolt on any of them
My 1967 440 and 318 ci will break bolts as well, no big deal. these new ones are a pain to get at never had a lifter /cam issue, if you want that , buy Ford.

Last edited:

Michoan1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
08 QC with 144k and mine just broke a bolt on the passenger side, running some headers does sound mighty nice though

lyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
1987 d150
Engine
I had a 03 2500 4x4, loved the truck hated the gas millage, 8mpg! Granted I put 12 1/2 x 35 Pro comp mud terrain tires on it. My costly fix was when a valve spring "shattered" and took all the rest of the left bank out except for 2 and at 71340 miles 1340 over the warranty the other problems I had was passengers side front universal and the transmission ( but it lasted longer than my 2000 1500 off-road that trans went out at 1200 miles, yes a brand new truck) when the 03 started doing its 70 mph drop to 2nd gear I decided to keep my 96 Bronco, but I still have a toy 87 d150 that I'm building a 360 for.

ptuttle78

Reaction score
?
Did you do it before they broke and did they all come out without breaking. I have 48000 on mine and no broken bolts yet, and wondering if I should try changing the bolts.

I wish I swapped them out before they broke. I had to drill them out. 2 on each side. I would go ahead and switch before they break

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, something new has come to light during this conversation. I could live with the manifold bolt problem, but the cam/lifter issue is way more concerning. Frankly, it's scaring me away from the hemi.
Haas,
personally my friend, i think your worrying far more than you really should be. Many people in here have had very good luck with their hemi trucks, and stands to reason why they buy another one when they trade up. Maybe you should visit some of the chevy & ford forums, and absorb all the problems those two brands have. It might cheer you up to know that the hemi trucks are a very fine truck. And again, another TRUCK OF THE YEAR award.

I`ve owned more hemi`s than most average people would, normally, and with 80+ thousand miles on ALL mine before trading them in, in my own opinion, speaks volumes for the hemi engines i`ve owned and have never broke anything. I have YET to have any exhaust bolts break, and surely never ever had cam an lifter issues in any hemi i`ve owned since 2003, and i put ALOTTA miles on my trucks. Use a good oil and filter, dont beat the truck, shouldn`t have any problems. I think alot of problems are exaggerated more than they really actually are. Thank the internet for that. If you look at how many hemi`s have been sold, against how many problems they`ve had throughout the generations, its not even worth worrying about it, in my own personal opinion.

Just my own thoughts on the cam/lifter failure... pick an oil that has a good amount of zinc in it, cam/lifters will work just fine and last plenty long enough. I`ve used pennzoil for a few years, not a single engine failure to date, or even any kind of severe wear to speak of. Call it luck...?... could be, i dont know. But it must be working good for me, because i`ve had ZERO cam & lifter failures. Do they break, sure they do, ALL of them do, at some point. Its how you take care or them is what really matters. Change the oil and filter often, don`t beat the truck/car/horse, the hemi will last a long time.

The only thing i have trouble with, are the lame dealerships out there... but they are all a pain in the ass when they cant fix`em, no matter what badge is in the grill.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I swapped them out before they broke. I had to drill them out. 2 on each side. I would go ahead and switch before they break

LOL.... maybe we should hit RAM/FCA up for exhaust bolt replacements with every oil change???