Should I swap out the 20's for something smaller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think 20s look good on a 35 or 37, anything smaller I'd want a 17 or 18. Never ever ever would I go bigger than 20.

OP
OP
M

mbecks21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seen the Ram Rebel runs 285/70 on 17" rim. Wonder what kind of lift it has.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swapped to 17s a few months back. No level and at stock height on the air suspension there is no rub. I think I could have even fit 315/70/17 (which I will probably go with next set). Here's my thread with pics.
http://www.ramforum.com/f41/new_wheels_tires_17x9_-13_33x12_5_a-74797/
The rebel is 1 inch higher than normal, but 285/70/17 will fit no problem at stock height.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hi guys. I have a white 2013 Ram CC Express with chrome door handle/mirror covers, running boards, and chrome clad 20 " rims. I will be leveling the truck and replacing the tires soonish. Ive been shopping around for tires and as we all know the bigger the rim the more pricey the tire. Would it make sense to buy a 17" rim (black) to replace the 20s? I love the black on white look. Chrome looks good as well. But i I could almost buy some 17s and tires for around the price of just tires for the 20s. Replacing tires down the road also cheaper. I would then sell the 20s. Has anyone gone this route?

Thanks.
Are you trying to make it easier for your grandma, oompa loompas and midgets to climb in?

I can't see any other reason to put 17" rims on unless you're just dying to spin tires on pavement.

Just say'n. It is your truck and choice though.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you trying to make it easier for your grandma, oompa loompas and midgets to climb in?

I can't see any other reason to put 17" rims on unless you're just dying to spin tires on pavement.

Smaller rim doesn't mean the tire will be smaller or shorter.

edemce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What does a 17inch wheel have ANYTHING to do with height of the vehicle?

The purpose would be to run a smaller wheel but a bigger meatier tire while maintaining the stock height. :homoswitch:

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What does a 17inch wheel have ANYTHING to do with height of the vehicle?

The purpose would be to run a smaller wheel but a bigger meatier tire while maintaining the stock height. :homoswitch:

OR an excuse to buy cheaper ****, it's your story though.

edemce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You mean save money? Who cares, its not YOUR money so why are you guys so butt hurt about it? Im pretty positive nobody here makes the payments or made the payment for his truck so.....

OP
OP
M

mbecks21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Its actually gonna cost more to do this than just buying tires for the 20s. But it will save money down the road on every set of tires I buy.

Its more for aesthetics than anything. Chrome is okay but I am thinking about a black and white look. And, IMO, 20s belong on escalades. Not pickups.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Its actually gonna cost more to do this than just buying tires for the 20s. But it will save money down the road on every set of tires I buy.

Its more for aesthetics than anything. Chrome is okay but I am thinking about a black and white look. And, IMO, 20s belong on escalades. Not pickups.

With itty-bitty tires I agree. They look good on 35's or 37s though. A 17 rim on a 37 tire looks ******** imo.

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Lol coming form the Jeep world I think 37s on a 17 inch rim are beautiful.

On my truck though I'm getting ready to order the Method Race Wheel Standard in a 17x8.5 with a 0 offset and slapping on the Toyo Open Country AT2s in 285/75 R17. That should put me right at a 34 inch tire with a little more sidewall for when I don't slow down as much as I should on my dirt (and rock) driveway. I also have a 60 mile round trip commute so i can't go all crazy like I would otherwise.

I'm hoping they'll come in on time for me to install with my leveling kit next weekend.

edemce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol coming form the Jeep world I think 37s on a 17 inch rim are beautiful.

On my truck though I'm getting ready to order the Method Race Wheel Standard in a 17x8.5 with a 0 offset and slapping on the Toyo Open Country AT2s in 285/75 R17. That should put me right at a 34 inch tire with a little more sidewall for when I don't slow down as much as I should on my dirt (and rock) driveway. I also have a 60 mile round trip commute so i can't go all crazy like I would otherwise.

I'm hoping they'll come in on time for me to install with my leveling kit next weekend.

This is going to look really nice. Please do post pictures.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, but the big ass rims with the tiny ass sidewall mud tire look is stupid and just plain useless. Don't even get me started on the fad with the stupid crazy offset wheels. Makes no damn sense. Unless you're a mall crawler.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Looking at a LT285/70/17 Hankook Dynapro ATM

I am not running that size, but I had to comment on your tire choice. Excellent!

I just had a set of those put on my Ram in factory 20" size on Monday. Awesome tire, wife's 2014 JGC also has a set (installed last month). Only lose about 1 MPG compared to highway tires, and they conquer snow like you wouldn't believe.

In the end, after a bit of shopping around and finding some deals, the wife's 18" and my 20" each cost about the same, just a touch over $650 installed/balanced.

Last edited: