Should I take the Honda Pilot or the RAM to haul rock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z

Zaxxs

Reaction score
Ram Year
These are all good points, and you have convinced me to leave the truck as is. If I need to get rock I will either take multiple loads or have them haul it.

As for the pilot, it is the newer style, so not as rugged as the square body, but still a great vehicle. It is perfect for road trips, so smooth, quiet, and upper 20's low 30's for MPG.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take both vehicles and get all your rock in one trip, next time. You can lay cardboard on the bed/floor. Make a contest with your wife (she in the Honda), make a contest who can load the most rock the fastest :cool:! (hey, it used to work on the kids, lol!).

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Take both vehicles and get all your rock in one trip, next time. You can lay cardboard on the bed/floor. Make a contest with your wife (she in the Honda), make a contest who can load the most rock the fastest :cool:! (hey, it used to work on the kids, lol!).
if there was best response reward i would give it you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what do you win if you beat her, 24 months w/o nuggy? One of her coworkers will win the boobie prize, not you.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These are all good points, and you have convinced me to leave the truck as is. If I need to get rock I will either take multiple loads or have them haul it.

As for the pilot, it is the newer style, so not as rugged as the square body, but still a great vehicle. It is perfect for road trips, so smooth, quiet, and upper 20's low 30's for MPG.
The 3rd gen pilot has a better AWD system, but less ground clearance and worse approach / departure angle. The passport gives up the third row but gives you better angles with the newer AWD.

My first gen pilot was great. Zero problems in 10 years, and with decent tires it could get places you would never expect. Our third gen has been good but not great, the new 2023 looks like it is promising though. May get one in 2025

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How far do you have to carry the load? Your ram can carry a lot more than you think.

I remember years ago I went to get some sand for a project (you know where this is going...lol). This was in a chevy 1500 pickup with heavier aftermarket rear springs. The guy dropped the end loader bucket of sand (it wasn't all dry sand), and it took er down to the bump stops real quick! Fortunately I only needed to go about 3 miles. I had that truck loaded down to the bumpstops a few times over the years. Still runs great.
I had an old 1500, a 2000 model. It was nearly insane what I carried. How it survived (and made 300k+ miles) is a mystery to me. May it RIP. LOL

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
This is a full pallet of retaining wall stones (somewhere around 2300lbs). I have since got Airlift 5000's and a dump trailer. I made a number of trips with a pallet in the bed and it did OK (front end was a little squirrely), but I won't do that to the truck again. The dump trailer is the *******.

IMG_6205.JPG

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I carried 1.25 pallets of asphalt shingles in the old Chevy. I loaded a whole pallet in the bed, got the forklift guy to push it forward until it was right behind the cab. Still had a quarter pallet to go. I started to load them across the rear seat and floor board by hand, then the last few bundles in the front seat and floor board, passenger side.

Forklift guy and helper walked away muttering Spanish, I did hear the word "loco" several times.

Off subject, it amazes me how immigrants might not know any English at all but they ALWAYS know how to drop F-bombs. That word they know.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Off subject, it amazes me how immigrants might not know any English at all but they ALWAYS know how to drop F-bombs. That word they know.

The "f-word" and "Ok" are amongst the two most universally used words in just about all languages ...