Show off your Overlanding/Camping setups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been going back and forth on a bed rack and roof top tent for my truck, or doing a camper shell and building out a rudimentary camping setup that way. i ended up finding a fantastic deal on a topper and i've decided to go that route. I have a smittybilt 6.5' awning that i am trying to determine how to mount now, and plan to build slowly and get this thing setup the way i want it.

i was building a micro camper/square drop that ended up getting destroyed, so i'm reassessing and trying to do something a little more stealth and easy to setup and teardown. Here are some pics!

i-PgctmWv-M.jpg

i-98pjjn8-M.jpg

i-9mFDC4D-M.jpg

You'll probably notice that the glass isn't shut, i had to trim the plastic piece at the bottom. surprisingly, this shell is for a 3rd gen but dropped right into place very nicely. for the price, i just couldn't pass it up.

I'd love to see you folks' ideas and setups if you've got em. i have ideas, but nothing planned yet!

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
28c889637d2f5a0c6367a01f37c35fd0.jpg

With the screened windows slid open, this works pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Where are your Fender Wheels?
That bed looks like to goes to every side wall front, sides and rear.

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Where are your Fender Wheels?
That bed looks like to goes to every side wall front, sides and rear.

It does haha. They make blow up mattresses that have cutouts that go around and have a little part that sit on top of the inner fenders

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
how comfortable is this set up? it's what I wanna do I think

It is really comfortable. Mine is the airbedz lite if you want to read reviews.

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is really comfortable. Mine is the airbedz lite if you want to read reviews.

cool! I'll check it out. back and forth between a purpose built bed or a platform and my foam topper from my old micro camper.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
It does haha. They make blow up mattresses that have cutouts that go around and have a little part that sit on top of the inner fenders

and, WHERE WOULD I GET ONE?

I cannot stand those blow up matresses but the WIfe adn kids love the dumb things.
WOld be nice for when they take my truck on Boy Scout stuff. they are all short enough to use it.
FOr Storms and such.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Something like that might be good for road trips. I wouldn’t have to worry about the wheel wells since I have a packrat tool box that would raise the floor level up to the top of them. I would have to figure something to work with the tool box in front of it.

Racing Woody

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've been going back and forth on a bed rack and roof top tent for my truck, or doing a camper shell and building out a rudimentary camping setup that way. i ended up finding a fantastic deal on a topper and i've decided to go that route. I have a smittybilt 6.5' awning that i am trying to determine how to mount now, and plan to build slowly and get this thing setup the way i want it.

i was building a micro camper/square drop that ended up getting destroyed, so i'm reassessing and trying to do something a little more stealth and easy to setup and teardown. Here are some pics!

i-PgctmWv-M.jpg

i-98pjjn8-M.jpg

i-9mFDC4D-M.jpg

You'll probably notice that the glass isn't shut, i had to trim the plastic piece at the bottom. surprisingly, this shell is for a 3rd gen but dropped right into place very nicely. for the price, i just couldn't pass it up.

I'd love to see you folks' ideas and setups if you've got em. i have ideas, but nothing planned yet!

Any chance you could post a picture from the side. Thinking of going this route.

Thanks in advance

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
and, WHERE WOULD I GET ONE?

I cannot stand those blow up matresses but the WIfe adn kids love the dumb things.
WOld be nice for when they take my truck on Boy Scout stuff. they are all short enough to use it.
FOr Storms and such.

Thanks in advance

https://www.autoanything.com/shop/mattress

There's a few options here. The type that fits inside the wheel wells, and the type that go wall to wall, and go around the wheel wells.

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i-BDH46f4-X3.png

here's my layout idea that im thinking of building out. i like it because it will fold up and create a little more storage, and it can still house some of my random items in the truck bed while we aren't camping.

i also got the camper top better sealed today. it's going to take a little more work, but it's almost 100% leak free!

i-s6sdmzX-L.jpg

i-VZCmKDd-L.jpg