Sick of listening to Ford guys.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I haven't had any trouble with any of the ones I've used lol.

People seem to forget all the problems the previous technology had.

...just wait till current technology gets 10 years old :roflsquared:

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ford trucks are ugly and GM's are even worse. Case closed.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't had any trouble with any of the ones I've used lol.

People seem to forget all the problems the previous technology had.

A couple of people saying theirs work fine doesn't mean touchscreen devices aren't well known to be plagued by malfunctions.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A couple of people saying theirs work fine doesn't mean touchscreen devices aren't well known to be plagued by malfunctions.
I'm talking about statistics that are gathered from entire production lines for the purpose of assessing quality control measures.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm talking about statistics that are gathered from entire production lines for the purpose of assessing quality control measures.

That'll be worth more when these have been around long enough - mass produced, not special case - to show a reliable track record for 5+ years. Until then I remain highly skeptical that these won't have a significant failure rate at about the 3 year mark, just like smartphones and tablets do currently. I'm not being a stubborn old man, I use tech extensively, that's precisely why I'm skeptical of having one of these devices built into my dash where I can't simply pull it out and replace it myself. And to address a couple of the analogies posted earlier, comparing a complex electronic device to power windows is for lack of a better word, plain stupid.

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as replacing our touch screens,, jeesh,,, they're virtually plug and play. Pop some trim off the dash, and there ya are,,, You certainly don't need any 'special talents or tools' for that,,

I hear Cuba still manufactures 'classics',, Maybe you SHOULD avoid any vehicle with those 'doomed/problematic/unreliable' touchscreens and simply snag one of those baby's,,,

(I wonder if they have FM radios in 'em yet?)

Last edited:

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
As far as replacing our touch screens,, jeesh,,, they're virtually plug and play. Pop some trim off the dash, and there ya are,,, You certainly don't need any 'special talents or tools' for that,,

I hear Cuba still manufactures 'classics',, Maybe you SHOULD avoid any vehicle with those 'doomed/problematic/unreliable' touchscreens and simply snag one of those baby's,,,

sometimes, when you don't have something, you learn to justify not having it by calling it "bad"

its alright. maybe we're just badass for having these computers in our vehicles..because clearly they arent the safe choice.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

sometimes, when you don't have something, you learn to justify not having it by calling it "bad"

its alright. maybe we're just badass for having these computers in our vehicles..because clearly they arent the safe choice.

Troll much, girls? :flipthebird:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Touchscreens have been around for a loooong time,,, Long before they were introduced into phones/cars,,,

Restaurants, Fast food joints, Grocery stores, home improvement stores, hospitals, Dr. offices,, (Everyone signs in via touchscreen at my orthopedic surgeons office),,, ,,, They're used in more places than just 'everywhere commerce occurs,,,' Pretty sure they have the gist of what it takes to make 'em work by now.

Hardware issues are few and far between. Software issues, at least in our trucks, are often resolved by simple, do-it-yourself uploads via a USB jump drive.

Nothing to fret over.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Touchscreens have been around for a loooong time,,, Long before they were introduced into phones/cars,,,

Restaurants, Fast food joints, Grocery stores, home improvement stores, hospitals, Dr. offices,, (Everyone signs in via touchscreen at my orthopedic surgeons office),,, ,,, They're used in more places than just 'everywhere commerce occurs,,,' Pretty sure they have the gist of what it takes to make 'em work by now.

Hardware issues are few and far between. Software issues, at least in our trucks, are often resolved by simple, do-it-yourself uploads via a USB jump drive.

Nothing to fret over.

Not the same devices. If you want a better comparison, use smartphones and tablets. Infotainment systems are newer than those even, not a "loooong time" Know a lot of people still happy with how well their iPhone or Android phone are holding up after 3 years? I sure don't. And judging by the number of malfunction statistics I've seen published for those devices contradicts your assertion that problems are few and far between.

Not good enough for you and want something a little closer to home? well you're in luck! There's this subforum right over this way (points above) called Audio and Electronics! That would be the one with all the posts in it with people having problems.

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a bit silly to compare the touchscreens in our RAM against other device(s) with a decades long history of utilization for a year or 2 before the Consumer then discards or trades the device in for 'the next big thing,,' Totally different market with totally different objectives,,,,

RAM didn't go about this hoping you'd buy a 'new and improved' touchscreen every 2 years. The 'first model run' NAV touchscreen in my 09 still worked like new when I traded it in in Dec 14, so I guess that was somehow 'an exception'?

But, if you insist that they're going to need replaced every few years,,,, again,,, The touchscreen itself in the RAMS are 100% plug and play, easily replaced by even those with modest ability. Software? again, USB and go,,,

If the audio / electronics forum is where these subjects run wild,,, why are you here trying to imply 'touchscreens will fail'?' Perhaps you should consider heading back over there to debate this subject with folks who may (or may not) share your outlook.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a bit silly to compare the touchscreens in our RAM against other device(s) with a decades long history of utilization for a year or 2 before the Consumer then discards or trades the device in for 'the next big thing,,' Totally different market with totally different objectives,,,,

RAM didn't go about this hoping you'd buy a 'new and improved' touchscreen every 2 years. The 'first model run' NAV touchscreen in my 09 still worked like new when I traded it in in Dec 14, so I guess that was somehow 'an exception'?

But, if you insist that they're going to need replaced every few years,,,, again,,, The touchscreen itself in the RAMS are 100% plug and play, easily replaced by even those with modest ability. Software? again, USB and go,,,

If the audio / electronics forum is where these subjects run wild,,, why are you here trying to imply 'touchscreens will fail'?' Perhaps you should consider heading back over there to debate this subject with folks who may (or may not) share your outlook.

You think?

"Multi-function, cross-linked infotainment systems and the associated in-car electronics are a growing reliability plague for many brands," the publication said in a statement.

"Of the 17 problem areas CR asks about in its survey, the category including in-car electronics generated more complaints from owners of 2014 models than for any other category."

Read more:*http://www.businessinsider.com/cons...ruining-car-reliability-2014-10#ixzz3j0vcyvAe

/drop mic

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have owned and driven Ford Trucks all of my life. I went to a Ford Dealer, I test drove a Ford King Ranch. rode good. My F250 XLT rode just as well. I test drove a Ram 3500 CC/LB 4x4 it rode like I was on a rough road. My F250 rides better. My F250 is 20 years old. I am used to how it rides. My F250 is not 4x4.
I have been lied too so many times by Ford Dealers here in San Diego, I decided to go with Ram. When I can buy a 2500 HD Laramie Limited for $10585.00 less than a Ford F-250 King Ranch I am going to buy Ram.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Roadshow,,, Nowhere in you link is RAM mentioned, (nor is Fords craptastic INSYNC system called out)

If you do a little more research, you'll see the UCONNECT system is near if not THE highest rated 'infotainment' system available today.

Now pic up your mic and head over to the Audio / electronics group. Those guys might be able to help ya with you misconceptions,,,

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Roadshow,,, Nowhere in you link is RAM mentioned, (nor is Fords craptastic INSYNC system called out)

If you do a little more research, you'll see the UCONNECT system is near if not THE highest rated 'infotainment' system available today.

Now pic up your mic and head over to the Audio / electronics group. Those guys might be able to help ya with you misconceptions,,,
No can do, I'm doing this right now with beer in hand. We'll just have to agree to disagree :)
a869a016627d9d96c7007ab22acda68c.jpg

RussellRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 EcoDiesel
Lets not forget that Dodge started out as an "engine & parts supplier" to Ford!...