Sick of listening to Ford guys.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Best engines man and for the transmission that is not much of an issue in the 4th gen (2009 1500 and newer) the way they calibrated the 5/6 speed and then the 8 speed they both are very solid. I tow a lot and do farm work and play work such as boat and demo car and never had an issue with my trans. I have about 106 on it so far changed he fluid and filters twice since I owned. The main weak link I have found is the exhaust manifolds which are junk at about 90k maybe a little more. They get hot and warp causing leaks. Next go around I am doing headers instead can't be any worse. Glad you joined the Dodge/Ram family they are good stuff.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah I read about the exhaust manifold and broken bolt issue to... But at least that's an external bolt on problem and not in the actual motor itself...I can deal with bolt on problems.. not that I want to, but its a lot easier than doing a cam phaser.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Who cares? I've owned both, drive a 14 Ram 1500 eco diesel right now and it's the best truck I've ever owned. The eco boost makes nice power but they're a joke as far as mileage.

shloubrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rant!

When I told some of my coworkers I was going to get a new Ram they acted like I was insulting their manhood because I didn't like Ford.

Apperntly Ram tows and carries the least but probably rides the best. Well towing stats do not lie and ride comfort is personal choice.

I test driove all the brands and easily prefer the ride and hsndling of the Ram. I try to tell my Ford buddirs i understand they like to spout towing specs but they do not tow anything and either do i. Smooth ride and horse power is what matters to me.

But now two weeks after i buy my new Ram this buy back thing happens. Potentially Ram might go under or at the least the consumer confidence gains in recent years is going to fall and the resale value of our trucks is too.

The Ford guys at work are just gloating with, " Told you Rams are junk, soon it won't be worth ****!"

Hate to be a anger managemnt case but i just want to bust them in the mouth! ... bad!

There is another guy there that was on the fence but he was leaning to toward a Ram 2500 but now with the buy back issue he says "No way he is going to get a Ram the vaues are going to plumment!"
I've always liked ford. I went out and bought an 150 a few years ago, and then the tyranny went, front end had to be redone, and worst of all my 5.3 gas engine began ticking like a diesel. Google it. The oil pressure VVT system on those engines would wear prematurely and they turn into ticking time bombs. Ford never did a recall. I was done, brought her right to the Dodge dealership and traded her in for my 8spd. Absolutely love it. Tow w it all the time. Rear suspension could be beefier but the motor is a beast.

I actually like what Ford has done w the 2015's, but no way would I trust the overworked turbo v6 - not after the Ford engineers screwed up designing the mid/late 2000's v8's.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm assuming you meant the 5.4l. The ticking was probably an exhaust manifold leak.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Those motors were known for having a problem with the VVT phasers.

...and crappy exhaust manifolds, and the chatty spark plug job. That being said, I drove an 09 and it was flawless for 60k for me and then my brother in law just traded it in at 160l and it was still going strong.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Those motors were known for having a problem with the VVT phasers.

The phasers were a nightmare in those mod motors. I had a '10 with the 5.4 and had "a recall" done (had to use a id number from a Lincoln since they didn't specifically have it for the '10 since it was supposedly fixed- well it wasn't. Engine was toast at 69,000km. Started sounding like a diesel about 5000km before it went boom, even after the supposed repair. That 5.4 is either great or horrible. Depending on what day it was built. Gutless lump, but if you got one that didn't have issues with the VVT, then they were bomb proof and didn't care what you put in it or behind it. Swear you could run them on mule **** if you had to.

The epileptic six speed... another whole ball of wax....

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually like what Ford has done w the 2015's, but no way would I trust the overworked turbo v6 - not after the Ford engineers screwed up designing the mid/late 2000's v8's.

But you trust the Ecodiesel's 420ftlbs from 3.0l?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The phasers were a nightmare in those mod motors. I had a '10 with the 5.4 and had "a recall" done (had to use a id number from a Lincoln since they didn't specifically have it for the '10 since it was supposedly fixed- well it wasn't. Engine was toast at 69,000km. Started sounding like a diesel about 5000km before it went boom, even after the supposed repair. That 5.4 is either great or horrible. Depending on what day it was built. Gutless lump, but if you got one that didn't have issues with the VVT, then they were bomb proof and didn't care what you put in it or behind it. Swear you could run them on mule **** if you had to.

The epileptic six speed... another whole ball of wax....

That motor was a frankenstein, which was it's main issue IMO.

The mod motor line has had some real winners. The 5.4L DOHC in the Ford GT is likely first among them. It's possibly the best motor Ford has ever built.

The 5.4L Triton shares the shortblock geometry with that motor, though the block is very different. The problem is that it uses the 4.6L 3V heads. This means it has to use a longer timing chain and a few other things that had to be specifically designed for that motor.

That said, one of the NASTIEST mod motors I've ever seen was a 5.8L shortblock from a 2013 GT500 paired up with the 4.6L 3V heads. Why? Because it had enough room in between the heads for a MASSIVE intercooler, which means you could run a 4.5L Whipple on top and have ambient IATs the whole time.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My thoughts exactly.

We've come along way with technology and engine performance but At this point I wouldn't feel comfortable using a 3.0 for heavy duty use. If it's for moderate use I'll stick with a Hemi :naughty: and for uber-man use...well you guys know the rest...

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
I was just reading on the ecoboost and it was saying that the turbo would have to be rebuilt at 151k so that's great for most of the people but when those trade in there might be a lot of the fords just setting or a lot of pissed off people , i dont care how good they say they are i would not buy one .

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was just reading on the ecoboost and it was saying that the turbo would have to be rebuilt at 151k so that's great for most of the people but when those trade in there might be a lot of the fords just setting or a lot of pissed off people , i dont care how good they say they are i would not buy one .

Rebuilding a turbo is pretty easy if it's a journal bearing. I'd be interested where you were seeing that 151k miles figure though.

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
It was in a car and driver showing the top trucks of 2015 and comparing them. I'll see if I can find it again.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If it's built right, it will last indefinitely. If not, well, there ya go,,,

I believe Banks looked at it and said it was good to 550-600 ft lbs, so 420 isn't so bad,,,

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2 cents. I stopped buying new ever since '08 for 2 main reasons.
1. I always find a far better deal on a used with low mileage
2. I dislike being a beta tester guinea pig for unproven new features

As for Ford, I have nothing against them. I was actually almost going to buy one over my RAM but didn't because for the models years I was shopping, RAM had a better engine and the Ford I was looking at had a lot of telltale rust underneath indicating it wasn't cared for well. I'm a minimalist too. I like old school. I don't want turbo engine headaches and I'm not going to touch an aluminum body truck until it's been tested in the field for a couple years. Sadly this truck will also be the last truck I'll ever find without those stupid touch screen infotainment systems that have "repair me even though you already use a smartphone anyway" written all over them too.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my youth,, I seem to remember my grand father cussin those new fangled electric windows and electronic ignitions,,, "Just something else to go wrong!!!!"
I've come to expect/enjoy/appreciate both,,,,

=)

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
In my youth,, I seem to remember my grand father cussin those new fangled electric windows and electronic ignitions,,, "Just something else to go wrong!!!!"
I've come to expect/enjoy/appreciate both,,,,

=)

Ha... sounds like my dad! My first car had power windows and locks, he told me I would regret them when they break. Never did!

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And yet modern touchscreen devices continue to glitch out on a regular basis
/drop mic

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
And yet modern touchscreen devices continue to glitch out on a regular basis
/drop mic
I haven't had any trouble with any of the ones I've used lol.

People seem to forget all the problems the previous technology had.