Silverado while Ram in shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A short while back a person backed up into the front of my truck. While I was out dealing with that an old lady went to go around my truck and cut it short and scraped the back panel and broke the rear taillight. They gave me a Silverado for a rental with a V8. What a difference. The hemi is so much more responsive. I could not own a Silverado.

rvj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I would have a Silverado long before I would have another F150, that was a never ending nightmare, Aluminum body my ***, that thing was junk.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My brother used to own a 2013 silverado before he bought his first ram, GM had to toss a long block into it under warranty with only 600 kilometers on it because nobody could figure out where a tick was coming from

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

markmiela

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a Silverado for three years. Then I drive a ram the rest is history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirMarco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
When I was looking for trucks, I was between the F150, Silverado and RAM. The F150 was quickly taken off the list due to the prices of them. A stripped down one was stupid expensive still. I looked at Silverados and liked them. I just loved how the RAMs looked though. Overall RAM was a better buy for me for the "package" I was interested in between the two. Plus the RAM has more power..

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Traded my 2014 Silverado for my RAM, took a big time bath on trade but I'm happy I did it. The GM advanced fuel management blows, it's root of all evil with their trucks.. well.. that and RUST.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my co worker has a 2015 GMC, he had some hail damage and was getting it fixed and all they had to loan him was a 2015 ram with the hemi and 8 speed. he told me how much he loves the response compared to his GMC. wished he bought one instead. plus we get discounts on RAM, being we are affiliates. i told him with his issues with his 2011 GMC and the lifters that kept going out he should have learned his lesson, he didn't.

Luke

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
My friend has a Silverado, he loves his

Seems to lack giddy up and go ?

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GM's downfall IMO is the "numerically low" gears available, not to mention the 5.3 is under powered compared to the Hemi. Ram owners should be thankful for the Hemi/8 speed/3.92 combo and the fact they are easy to find on a lot. Sure, you can get the 6.2 in a GM but it's only in high end models and try finding one with something better than 3.42..............

Glad Ram is still getting this part right!

freefallin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5.3 is a tough and cheap sob. They can be had for a few hundred bucks at your nearest JY and can take a serious beating, but in stock form they are dogs compared to the Hemi's. This is coming from GM lifer whose owned nothing GM trucks, and an FRC Corvette. As mentioned above, once I drove a Ram/Cummins the rest was history.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.3s can take some major abuse. But yes they are dogs. I had an 08 with a custom tune and long tube headers and it's still slower than my stock hemi

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will agree with the rear end gears on the Chevy's. I owned an 05 1500 with 3.42 and a 4 speed. Had a trailer hooked up going to haul some wood. Starting from a dead stop, I tried to go up a slight hill in 4wd. I mashed the throttle and it wouldn't spin the tires. I just set there. Had to put it in 4LO to go up the hill. Trailer was virtually empty!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Coming from a long line of 5.3's and GM products, I remember the first time I drove a Ram. It was an uncles 2010 1500 Longhorn with the 5.7 I was driving it to the exhaust shop for him. This was years ago so I dont remember what exactly was wrong with the exhaust but something was cracked and it sounded like an unplugged Hemi. Even with that tho, it pulled way harder than the 5.3. After hauling ass down the highway in that truck for a while and listening to that Hemi growl I was sold. Interior was really nice too, even pre 2013 refresh, tho my uncle didnt exactly keep it clean lol. Theres just something fun about these trucks, some bit of personality and attitude that they have that the others dont. And a lot of times people have to drive one to get it. I did. Once I saw how much FCA had stepped up their interior and infotainment quality by 2013 it was a no brainer for me. The 5.3 is a very tough little engine that could though. But coming from a Hemi now I could never go back to the 5.3. I would have to get the new 6.2 but as mentioned you have to spend top dollar where as the 5.7 can be had in the lowest trim on the Ram which is great for a lot of people. Funny part is my dad has always been a pretty big Mopar guy, owned a Barracuda and a Duster when he was younger, and I always loved the old Mopar muscle since I was a kid but I never really thought about getting into a Ram until I drove one.

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A short while back a person backed up into the front of my truck. While I was out dealing with that an old lady went to go around my truck and cut it short and scraped the back panel and broke the rear taillight. They gave me a Silverado for a rental with a V8. What a difference. The hemi is so much more responsive. I could not own a Silverado.

I agree. My dad has a 07 4.8 crew cab, my brother has a 10 Sierra 5.3, my grandpa has a 15 5.3 and I drive a 02 4.8. All of them except the 02 with 313k miles don't even come close to my ram.

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I agree. My dad has a 07 4.8 crew cab, my brother has a 10 Sierra 5.3, my grandpa has a 15 5.3 and I drive a 02 4.8. All of them except the 02 with 313k miles don't even come close to my ram.

I drove about a 2013 Silverado 5.3 last week. Honestly it didn't even feel any peppier than my Ram with the Pentastar.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I drove about a 2013 Silverado 5.3 last week. Honestly it didn't even feel any peppier than my Ram with the Pentastar.

I agree. I almost pulled the trigger on an 11 5.3, but for some reason payments weren't where we wanted them. I ended up test driving my ram per request of my salesman. We needed room with 4 kids. The power reminded me of my youth driving 5spd foxbody mustangs. I have loved every day of ownership.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My folks had a 2011 Silverado and my mom was tired of having the boring LTZ package so we went to another dealership in Jamestown and looked at a few trucks. One was a 2012 GMC Denali, 6.2l and AWD. Another was a 2015 GMC with the 5.3 and a carbon wrap kit on it. Needless to say I was disappointed in the power of the 5.3 even though they had bumped the power up with that year. The 6.2 had more power but was still falling short of my 5.7 in responsiveness and power. My folks ended up picking the Denali over that dumb gmc with the double cab, which had less room in the back than my 2nd gen quad cab lol.

Sent from the howitzer

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like my Ram with hemi and will certainly consider another when I'm ready for a new one but where I used to work they got 3/4 ton Chevy's with the 6.2. Unless it's a different motor than the one they use in the 1/2 chevy, that engine in a 1/2 ton would likely mop the floor with a 5.7 hemi

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I like my Ram with hemi and will certainly consider another when I'm ready for a new one but where I used to work they got 3/4 ton Chevy's with the 6.2. Unless it's a different motor than the one they use in the 1/2 chevy, that engine in a 1/2 ton would likely mop the floor with a 5.7 hemi

The current 6.2 in the Silverado 1500 is the L86 "ecotec3" based on the new LT1 in the Corvettes and Camaros. Its also in the Escalade. I cant remember if you can get it in the Tahoe.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The 3/4 tons still use the ly6 6.0. The 6.0 is still an animal though