Slam In Park... On A Steep Hill...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I wonder how these 8 speeds hold up to being slammed in Park on a steep hill, ramps, etc?

I know I've done it already without thinking, but I'm in Illinois which is like "Flatlandistand"...

Flat broke, too...

Anyhow, you know how you see the Dealership have the trucks up on those big fake rocks and ramps and stuff and you just KNOW some kid just slammed it into Park.

And people in Arkansas. San Fran, Colorado, West Virginia, hell they're ALL more hilly than Illinois.....

Guess they're pretty tough.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Park brake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Pretty flat ground around these parts but on occasion I do have to park on hills. When I do the parking brake goes on before I put the truck in park. When I'm ready to go I start the truck, put my foot on the brake, release the parking brake then put it in gear, no clunk.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess proper procedure is: neutral, parking brake, release brake pedal, shift to park.

I've always used the parking brake on all my vehicles, standard and automatic.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have always used the parking brake.

When I am stopped, press it to engage it, then put the truck in park.

When I leave, Put the truck in gear, than disengage the parking brake.

OP
OP
Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I'll be using the Park Brake at that spot in the future, but I bet a LOT of people don't...

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess proper procedure is: neutral, parking brake, release brake pedal, shift to park.

I've always used the parking brake on all my vehicles, standard and automatic.

My procedure is a little different but with the same results.
Pull in spot, keep foot on brake pedal -> shift in park -> parking brake -> take foot SLOWLY off brake pedal to let the truck rest on brakes and not transmission.

I cringe every time I see someone slam their vehicle into park.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My procedure is a little different but with the same results.
Pull in spot, keep foot on brake pedal -> shift in park -> parking brake -> take foot SLOWLY off brake pedal to let the truck rest on brakes and not transmission.

I cringe every time I see someone slam their vehicle into park.

Try it my way. You'll notice the truck doesn't even "rock" into place.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slam it into park? That's a little sketchy... I think most of the population comes to a complete stop and shifts into park while the brake is still compressed. How ever before long most people won't know how to back a trailer or parallel park with out a back up camera... gonna make for some good times lol
And for those of you who say " you must always use your parking brake" that's a whole other can of worms- cause when that parking brake freezes it makes for a whole lot of fun- and yes they do freeze.

Last edited:

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slam it into park? That's a little sketchy... I think most of the population comes to a complete stop and shifts into park while the brake is still compressed. How ever before long most people won't know how to back a trailer or parallel park with out a back up camera... gonna make for some good times lol
And for those of you who say " you must always use your parking brake" that's a whole other can of worms- cause when that parking brake freezes it makes for a whole lot of fun- and yes they do freeze.

You'd be surprised how many vehicles roll away while in park without the brake on.

At the place of I work at we average 2 vehicles per month that roll away in the parking lot.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it would behoove of me to not just put the truck in park and call it good?

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

A frozen parking brake sucks. Lesson learned when i first moved to Fairbanks, thankfully I had a ride to work but got into the habit of not using it. I have always use the parking brake until I moved up here, the last thing I want to do is take a torch to my brakes (and yes, that is a thing the tow trucks carry for that reason)

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All about setting the parking break for the correct application- But every scenario is different- I know it doesn't take much to snap that pin in the tranny that locks the tranny when in park-

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was surprised at how much the truck roles before the park catches...feels like it moves about 6-8 inches before stopping

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone should be using their parking brake all the time. There is zero reason not to other than laziness and if you are parked on even the slightest incline it is simply a safety measure and is better for your truck.

When parking, even on flat ground, I come to stop, keep foot on brake pedal, shift to park, push parking brake, release brake pedal. It is just habit now.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone should be using their parking brake all the time. There is zero reason not to other than laziness and if you are parked on even the slightest incline it is simply a safety measure and is better for your truck.

When parking, even on flat ground, I come to stop, keep foot on brake pedal, shift to park, push parking brake, release brake pedal. It is just habit now.

Sorry but the surrounding environment dictates weather or not I use my parking break. And if the snow is real wet and I know I have been in slushy conditions I'm not setting my parking break so it can just freeze once that sun sets. As stated above it all depends on the situation and it sure isn't a " all the time period " thing.