Slant six has no spark!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NateP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
My slant six suddenly died and wont start. Ive checked the fuel delivery. It is good. I have 12 v at the coil key on & while cranking. The pickup coil tested good. I swapped out the ignition coil for a known good one. Still no spark. Could this vacuum switch looking thing on my air cleaner have something to do with it?

OP
OP
N

NateP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
1982 looks like electronic ignition. It has two pickup coils. But im not seeing the ballast resistor nor the control module. Static tested both. It appears 1 is good and 1 is bad. I have to go find one. I have this electric/vacuum thing on the air cleaner. Have continuity from one of the plugs in it going to each pickup coil. Can this be the root of my problem?

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I'd be more help if it weren't electronic ignition. I'm not sure what the device on the air cleaner is. If you have doubts about it, perhaps put a jumper across it to take it out of the loop? My best guess on what it is: a temp sensor operating the timing advance, probably when cold. What do the spark plugs look like?

Loggato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My first guess was ballast resistor.. My duster has a slant, and the ballast resistor even has a chunk broken off of it.. still works!

But I have heard that it is a common fault problem.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
The gizmo on the air cleaner is part of the lean burn system. It controls the crappy electronic needles that were on the carbs of those models. You most likely have an ignition pickup issue.