Slid in under the wire on the warranty...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Cruise control button is failing intermittently and tapping the steering wheel on the outside edge toward the horn 'fixes' it for awhile. I know it's just the button or the connection but I called to see if I was still under warranty as I knew I was right on the bubble. 18 days of bumper to bumper coverage left, might as well let them look at it. Also going to have them look at the squealing sound on cold start, though my understanding is that's a 'feature' of the factory exhaust and I doubt they do anything with it.

Glad it's nothing important, the earliest they would look at it is in 9 days, 20 days if I wanted a guaranteed time slot and to wait for it. If it wasn't within 5 minutes of the house, I'd just take care of it myself. Since it is under warranty, I'll let them do it. Another solid reason I don't buy an extended warranty, though, if there's a real problem I don't want to be sitting for weeks or longer waiting for them to get around to it. I'll do it myself or use an independent shop with an opening...

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Cruise works now, they swapped out the switch. Actually went above and beyond, IMO, took airbag out to test all the connections, etc. I would have just swapped the switch and if it worked called it a day.

Chirping from the exhaust was dismissed as 'characteristic of the vehicle', which is probably accurate. Seems all the gas 6.4L have the chirp until the exhaust is warmed up.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cruise works now, they swapped out the switch. Actually went above and beyond, IMO, took airbag out to test all the connections, etc. I would have just swapped the switch and if it worked called it a day.

Chirping from the exhaust was dismissed as 'characteristic of the vehicle', which is probably accurate. Seems all the gas 6.4L have the chirp until the exhaust is warmed up.
Yep. Very common.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Yep. Very common.

I figured. Just thought I'd have them check in case it was something.

I actually liked the service advisor.

Him: When do you need it back by?
Me: Next Friday morning.
Him: ...if I can't get it done by then I'll help you find a shop that's worth a damn.