Slight engine noise. 04 5.7 hemi.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrismb5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1500 reg. Cab 2wd if it helps any... But my motor (I assume) is making a slight chat noise. It doesn't happen at cold start... About halfway to operating temp the chatter starts, when the motor is at operating temp the noise quiets down a bit. It follows the sound of the exhaust. I've replaced all manifold bolts. On the passenger side 3 bolts were sheared off at manifold. 0 on the driver side but I replaced them anyway. That's been about 5 months ago (only owned it for 6 months now). The noise hasn't gotten any worse and the truck runs pretty good. Perfect oil pressure, perfect operating temp. About 2 months ago I put a set of shorties on it because I figured it was a warped manifold so I bit the bullet. I can't say for sure that it wasn't the problem because the headers required some fabbing to bolt to the stock Y, and I did it all myself so there may be a leak somewhere else now. Haven't really had time since I got everything back on it to check the welds and joints for leaks. I'm convinced it's not a rodrod bear or anything because my oil pressure would drop right? It would be much louder than a chatter wouldn't it? Also I can only hear it at idle and the sound increases in speed with the rpm until about 1300-1500. I've heard of a warped or cracked flexplate but that would be consistent through every rpm right? I can't tell exactly where the noise is originating but you cannot hear it at all from the front end of the truck or from the top end of the motor.

OP
OP
Chrismb5.7

Chrismb5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know about the mysterious "hemi tick" but there is no definite ticking noise to attach to the term "hemi tick". Obvious piston slaps, rod knocks, and lifter ticks have all been labeled as "the hemi tick". Also I can't seem to find a video or hear any hemi I get close to making the same noise. I think I have a video if the noise at it's loudest needs to be heard.

OP
OP
Chrismb5.7

Chrismb5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty sure this is before the shorties we're installed. Noise sounds the same though. Never gotten worse .

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your noise is definitely coming from the passenger side down low. I hear a little bit of drivetrain noise which is always amplified with headers. Maybe try a different brand of header gasket/is the connection to the downpipe on that side a good one?
Just out of curiosity what brand/weight oil are you running? A switch to 5W30 would most likely quiet the other noises down quite a bit.

OP
OP
Chrismb5.7

Chrismb5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly, I feel like there is still a leak somewhere. Maybe the weld bead on the passenger downpipe has a leak in it like Tidefan1967 suggested. Haven't had time to check it out lately but as soon as I get home today I'm gonna spray the pipes down with some soapy water, start it up and see what I get. I do wanna know if anyone else has had this noise and if/how they solved it though.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stick a rag over exhaust pipe while idling to locate an exhaust leak.

OhioGuy36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi tick is manifold broken stud.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OhioGuy36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like it but no, put your head by passenger wheel well and you will see thats its manifold passenger side

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk