Slow fuel fill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Durangodog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In 2017 i had the fuel pump replaced and the fill rate on the fuel tank is slowed to a creep. Never had this problem before repair and the shop couldnt fix problem and said a new tank was needed(no tanks available). Pump went out again (July 2020) and took it to the dealer this time to replace the pump and diagnose the slow fill problem. **I wont go into all of the dealers false promises on delivery time, not providing service I requested, service writer that has no mechanical aptitude.** After replacing pump and a second trip back for the fill issue and smell of gas. I was told it's the valve at the bottom of the fill tube/top of the tank and no 05 Power Wagon (34 gal) tanks are available. Now I have gone back twice for fuel leak(visible down the driver's side of the tank and on top. Dealer says it's due to the valve that is causing the slow fill. SO, can the valve INSIDE the tank sticking cause a leak outside of the tank? Any tanks available? Any other possible causes? Fixes? HELP. Love my 05 PW!! Thanks

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
In 2017 i had the fuel pump replaced and the fill rate on the fuel tank is slowed to a creep. Never had this problem before repair and the shop couldnt fix problem and said a new tank was needed(no tanks available). Pump went out again (July 2020) and took it to the dealer this time to replace the pump and diagnose the slow fill problem. **I wont go into all of the dealers false promises on delivery time, not providing service I requested, service writer that has no mechanical aptitude.** After replacing pump and a second trip back for the fill issue and smell of gas. I was told it's the valve at the bottom of the fill tube/top of the tank and no 05 Power Wagon (34 gal) tanks are available. Now I have gone back twice for fuel leak(visible down the driver's side of the tank and on top. Dealer says it's due to the valve that is causing the slow fill. SO, can the valve INSIDE the tank sticking cause a leak outside of the tank? Any tanks available? Any other possible causes? Fixes? HELP. Love my 05 PW!! Thanks

try gen3 section if you can get help here. Might have better luck with more guys owning the same generation since your issue is not just a PW issue.
https://www.ramforum.com/forums/3rd-gen-2002-2008.43/

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Probably have better luck in the 3rd gen area as suggested...

But as an engineer, I would say that yes, it's POSSIBLE that a stuck valve could cause this issue. I'm presuming the valve is there to prevent overfilling of the tank, and if it is sticking closed/mostly closed it will cause a slow fill and COULD cause your leak/gas smell. I'd bet your fill tube has developed a slight weep around where it attaches to the tank, which would look like a leak from the outside and would almost always smell like gas.

I don't know enough about the construction of these tanks to even suggest a fix, however.

Hunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup i have a 2500 crew cab long box,
After checking the filler tube which was good.
I found the breather line to the evap system was kinked out of site above the chassis. Cut and spliced and fills beautiful now.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That is a all to common of an issue when the Fuel Tank is dropped out the bottom of the truck to replace a fuel pump.
Either the hoses get pinched, or the wiring gets messed up.

That is why many people will either remove or at least slide back the bed & work on the fuel tank from above
The chances of a pinched or cut tube or messed up wiring is considerably reduced

1630964038802.png

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Maybe it's just me, but I have NEVER pinched a wire or tube when dropping/installing a tank. But then, I take my time and check how things are going as I raise it into place SEVERAL times, and have even re-dropped a tank because I couldn't get a routing right. Again, that's just me.