Slow Launches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lonewolf1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 02 with the 5.9 & AT is having to rev higher to take off from a standing start. Normally on the street having to hit 2300 to 2700 rpm for it to launch. Also on level flat ground if I take my foot off the brake while in gear at a stop it does not attempt to move idling around 750 rpm. It was noticeable with the stock wheels and offroad tires before but it has gotten worse since upgrading to a OEM set of Viper SRT 10 Ram wheels.

I've upgraded most of the truck with looks and performance in mind but getting beat off the line by a import at a stoplight is not my idea of fun.20190823_135338.jpg

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check trans fluid level? Caliper hanging up? Torque converter may be on the way out.

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 02 with the 5.9 & AT is having to rev higher to take off from a standing start. Normally on the street having to hit 2300 to 2700 rpm for it to launch. Also on level flat ground if I take my foot off the brake while in gear at a stop it does not attempt to move idling around 750 rpm. It was noticeable with the stock wheels and offroad tires before but it has gotten worse since upgrading to a OEM set of Viper SRT 10 Ram wheels.

I've upgraded most of the truck with looks and performance in mind but getting beat off the line by a import at a stoplight is not my idea of fun.

Are you saying that when you let off of the foot brake and press on the accelerator pedal that the truck doesn't start moving forward until you hit 2300-2700RPM?

Does the 46RE still have the stock torque converter? Perform a stall test. Start the engine and let it run until it reaches normal operating temp. Set the parking brake. Place the shift lever in the DRIVE position and hold the brake pedal down hard. Push the accelerator pedal to the floor and see what RPM you are able to hit.

Normally when I see this complaint from a truck with a 46RE I find that the trans is starting in 2nd gear. The 2nd gear starts are mainly caused by a failed Governor Pressure Solenoid and Transducer. If the transmission has a lot of miles on it and/or has not been serviced in a while, I would check the front band/kickdown band adjustment. You may find that it is very loose.

Like @Karlsweg said earlier, also check the brakes to make sure they are not dragging because of a stuck caliper. Jack up each wheel and see if the wheel turns easily or if it requires some effort to turn.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like trans, though possible brake hang up...........

OP
OP
L

Lonewolf1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brakes are new less than 2 months on them. Did check to make sure no hanging up. Truck has just shy of 200,000 miles. It starts moving before the 2300 to 2700 rpm but it moves like a snail(got passed taking off from a light by a Pruis slow). Regardless of the issue I have no intention of getting rid of the truck, it was the last vehicle my dad helped me pick out before he died 2 yrs ago. Before I upgraded to the larger wheels and tires the only time it acted like this was when I was towing a trailer.

I do have a module that is plugged into my OBD2 port and runs constant communication with the truck & it has not kicked me any trouble codes, not running hot, and other than take off it runs great. I've been steadily working on it since buying it. This time last yr I took it to Florida and back & barely got 11 mpg this past trip I just returned from was getting an 18 mpg.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Brakes are new less than 2 months on them. Did check to make sure no hanging up. Truck has just shy of 200,000 miles. It starts moving before the 2300 to 2700 rpm but it moves like a snail(got passed taking off from a light by a Pruis slow). Regardless of the issue I have no intention of getting rid of the truck, it was the last vehicle my dad helped me pick out before he died 2 yrs ago. Before I upgraded to the larger wheels and tires the only time it acted like this was when I was towing a trailer.

I do have a module that is plugged into my OBD2 port and runs constant communication with the truck & it has not kicked me any trouble codes, not running hot, and other than take off it runs great. I've been steadily working on it since buying it. This time last yr I took it to Florida and back & barely got 11 mpg this past trip I just returned from was getting an 18 mpg.

Verify the trans is starting in first gear. Make sure you can feel all of the shifts when accelerating from a stop. Manually shift the trans and see If you fell every shift too.

The only other thing I can suggest is to either Dyno the truck or take it to the drag strip for some real world performance testing and then decide if any further diagnostics is warranted.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What gear ratio do you have and how much bigger are the tires? Bigger tires is like taking gear out of it.