slow/non-linear acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bisdak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
need guidance and opinion. for several months now, i seem to notice that my truck acceleration is slow or in other words not linear. I would have to step more to get more acceleration. in the old days with manual transmission, the clutch lining is thinning and needs replacement. I checked and replaced air filter. what could this mean? appreciate any input.

Truck details:
2014 RAM 1500 Sport
Air Suspension
Magnaflow 12288

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
try to unplug the battery for a few minutes to see if it feel better after.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
How many miles on the truck? Could be a catalytic converter plugging up as well. Has your MPG dropped?

OP
OP
B

bisdak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How many miles on the truck? Could be a catalytic converter plugging up as well. Has your MPG dropped?

dont remember exactly but surely less than 50k. yes, MPG has dropped. about 13 local, 18 highway.

JohnnyMac

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
dont remember exactly but surely less than 50k. yes, MPG has dropped. about 13 local, 18 highway.

Hmm, I wouldn't expect the cat to be plugged up in only 50k unless you've had other issues in the past that may have dumped raw fuel into the exhaust. When you say like the old days, do you mean like the clutch is slipping or like it's lugging with low power? Have you checked your transmission fluid to see if it's low or bad (smells burnt)?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
It's the adaptive learning. In other words the PCM is telling the throttle body to open less with the same amount of throttle pedal being depressed. This is due to a number of reasons, but mostly it boils down to that you don't drive it like you stole it 100% of the time. So it's learned to be more conservative since that's how you drive most of the time. It's annoying as hell.

I don't even think pulling the battery will reset it since it's a keep alive memory, or flash memory, that the parameters are written to. As far as I know only a tuner or the dealer can clear the KAM to restart the learning process.

JohnnyMac

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
It's the adaptive learning. In other words the PCM is telling the throttle body to open less with the same amount of throttle pedal being depressed. This is due to a number of reasons, but mostly it boils down to that you don't drive it like you stole it 100% of the time. So it's learned to be more conservative since that's how you drive most of the time. It's annoying as hell.

I don't even think pulling the battery will reset it since it's a keep alive memory, or flash memory, that the parameters are written to. As far as I know only a tuner or the dealer can clear the KAM to restart the learning process.

^^^ A Pedal Commander would most likely help with that. ^^^

OP
OP
B

bisdak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hmm, I wouldn't expect the cat to be plugged up in only 50k unless you've had other issues in the past that may have dumped raw fuel into the exhaust. When you say like the old days, do you mean like the clutch is slipping or like it's lugging with low power? Have you checked your transmission fluid to see if it's low or bad (smells burnt)?

sorry, she has 56,656 miles. Yes, it is almost similar feeling as it is slipping. negative curve instead of linear. Trans fluid was replaced at 40K.

OP
OP
B

bisdak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

makes sense. i had the throttle body flushed/cleaned at 40K together with trans.

OP
OP
B

bisdak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Problem solved! Got myself Pedal Commander. Big Thanks to JohnnyMac! :D