Snow chains stock tire and taller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Travelling across I-84 last week while towing a TT we had to wait for the travel tire chain restrictions to be lifted in order that we could continue heading east through Oregon from Colorado. Oregon has a requirement that when the snow restrictions are in effect the tow vehicle must have snow chains (traction devices) on the tires as well as on the trailer. Otherwise, if not towing, tires with the 3 mountain peak/snowflake symbol or other traction devices are required.

I stopped in the local Oregon auto parts (Napa, Carquest, O'Reilly) stores in Baker City and wasn't able to purchase tire chains for the stock tires in order to continue. So we spent the night due to the restrictions. I have and carry a diamond pattern set of chains for the TT in winter.

Titan seems to be the only manufacturer which makes a set of chains that will fit both the stock 285 70R17 PW tires and the taller 285 75R17 tire that I will replace the stock tires with. The Titan Chains part # TC3229 is the basic set without the ice claws.

I purchased a TC3229 set for $106 with the tensioners included in that price at the Titan headquarters located in Beaverton, Oregon last week. I was required to install them yesterday across the Deadman Pass portion of I-84 in Oregon per the road restrictions in order to continue going back to home.

etrailer.com also carries the Titan chains for the PW.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nice info. I've never needed chains in the North East. must be some crazy conditions out your way! Stay safe

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a set of 7mm TRYGG V-bar tire chains with cam tensioners. I picked them up from my local industrial supplier. It doesn't list my tire size on the bag, but they had a cross reference guide and they fit perfect. IMHO the best chains on the market. Neighbor gave me a nice ammo box to store them in and make them easier to carry around.

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Crazy California, Oregon, and Washington laws for snow chains requirements due to their wet snow. In Colorado where I live I have seen snowfall in every month except in early August. Never needed chains ever in Colorado either and so mine will sit with the rest of them in their ammunition boxes until I visit my family further out west again.

BevisIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l hemi
More power always is the answer. I live in wonderful Co too and we do have traction laws that went into effect a year or too ago.

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
LaddCreek_pid627.jpg Normally in Colorado they allow 4x4 with snow traction tires on the road while towing. Otherwise, chains are required. If conditions worsen where chains are required for a 4x4 with traction tires, then the roads get closed.

Oregon required snow chains on the tow vehicle and drag chains on the trailer regardless of whether or not the tow vehicle is a 4x4 with snow traction tires.

Road cam picture of our truck in tow in Eastern Oregon. Got very lucky with the timing of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
It's becoming Fall here fast in Colorado and so I fitted my snow chains for the first time onto my 285 75R17 tires which are the same width as the OEM tires. I need to have the chains when it is required by state road law, otherwise, I seldom use them. Had some issues on the driver's side with the rear parking brake line rubbing up against the chains (2nd photo). Had to bend up the closest bracket to the brakes for the line to clear the chains and wrapped it with 1/2" fuel line. (3rd photo). Last photo I couldn't delete, but it shows the chains rubbing.

Glad that I didn't install them on Deadman Pass earlier this year. I drove far around the restriction.
KIMG0460.jpg KIMG0461.jpg
KIMG0463.jpg

KIMG0462.jpg

Last edited:

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Glad this thread popped up.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to CO this winter to hang in a cabin somewhere for a few days.

I have a ram 1500..

2WD.....

Anyone have any recommendations for chains for the stock 20" wheels. And stock Goodyear tires?

I atleast think I should buy some just in case lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
It's becoming Fall here fast in Colorado and so I fitted my snow chains for the first time onto my 285 75R17 tires which are the same width as the OEM tires. I need to have the chains when it is required by state road law, otherwise, I seldom use them. Had some issues on the driver's side with the rear parking brake line rubbing up against the chains (2nd photo). Had to bend up the closest bracket to the brakes for the line to clear the chains and wrapped it with 1/2" fuel line. (3rd photo). Last photo I couldn't delete, but it shows the chains rubbing.
View attachment 141091 View attachment 141092
View attachment 141099

View attachment 141093

No cable interference on my 2015 with 35x12.50r17 and heavy duty square link chains. Glad you had some wiggle room in the brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Glad this thread popped up.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to CO this winter to hang in a cabin somewhere for a few days.

I have a ram 1500..

2WD.....

Anyone have any recommendations for chains for the stock 20" wheels. And stock Goodyear tires?

I atleast think I should buy some just in case lol.

Anyone?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Anyone?

I bought Titan V-Bar # TC2828CAM for my 20" with stock Goodyears from eTrailer.
They were at that time 170.00+ shipped. Never used them and have changed to 17"
Selling them for 125.00. Shipping is terrible if one can't pick them up.

eTrailer has a good selection

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
No cable interference on my 2015 with 35x12.50r17 and heavy duty square link chains. Glad you had some wiggle room in the brackets.

Since mine is a 2016 they are probably designed and built the same. It must be that my tire chain fitment with a 285 rides a bit lower on the tire wall than the chains for your wider 315 tire. The further down on the tire wall the chains fit, the closer the brake line becomes to the chain.

In my last photo from earlier today there has been 35,000 miles of rubbing wear on the parking brake cable where it makes contact with the heavy gauge steel wire bracket and also with a suspension bar. Just about an inch above the bracket shown in the photo is a small wear groove. I found similar wear on both cables within each bracket contact point around the same location. I wrapped the cable wear groove area with electrical tape and then protected it from further wear by enclosing the cable within a split 1/2" rubber fuel line hose. Did this on my older Chevrolet K1500's after wearing through a parking cable on one of them. So this isn't something unique to only a Ram pickup.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I bought Titan V-Bar # TC2828CAM for my 20" with stock Goodyears from eTrailer.
They were at that time 170.00+ shipped. Never used them and have changed to 17"
Selling them for 125.00. Shipping is terrible if one can't pick them up.

eTrailer has a good selection
Thank you for the tip. Looks like they have gone down in price quite a lot hahaha.

Those looks sweet though. I like the V bars. Will get these ordered since I expect I will need them in a 2wd truck lol.

Would it be pointless to get 4 chains? I get that any extra traction is good. but with no drive to the front. along with probably not tipping over 10-15 mph.... I just dont see the advantage. (Someone recommended all 4)

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Would it be pointless to get 4 chains? I get that any extra traction is good. but with no drive to the front. along with probably not tipping over 10-15 mph.... I just dont see the advantage. (Someone recommended all 4)

How much do you like steering? Get a set of cables for the fronts if you really need chains.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
How much do you like steering? Get a set of cables for the fronts if you really need chains.

I emailed the guy at the cabin. And said if there is heavy snow, he will plow the property. But I dont know about the miles long private dirt road. Lol. it's at 8000ft elevation, and said it is beautiful in the winter if not a blizzard...

I'll look into this. I see that etrailor site has multiple different types. The above chain part number seem pretty cheap though. So might just get to Pairs of those

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I emailed the guy at the cabin. And said if there is heavy snow, he will plow the property. But I dont know about the miles long private dirt road. Lol. it's at 8000ft elevation, and said it is beautiful in the winter if not a blizzard...

I'll look into this. I see that etrailor site has multiple different types. The above chain part number seem pretty cheap though. So might just get to Pairs of those

Heavy duty chains don’t always fit the front end on half ton trucks. Cables fit a lot tighter. Not sure what you have but just trying to give you options to think about.

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I drove a 2 wheel drive mini truck for 15 years along the Colorado Front Range and never used chains on it ever. Still have my now 40 year old little 1/2 ton pickup in Colorado. Even drove it over three mountain passes to ski around Leadville many times each winter. Always had a 4x4 backup vehicle, but seldom needed to use it during winter in Colorado.

Loaded the bed of the 2 wheel drive pickup with 200 pounds of sand bags over the rear axle and had high traction studded tires on just the rear axle. Never once had a steering issue with having only highway tread tires on the front in Colorado winter snow. Kept at a slower speed around 45 mph and under on snow covered roads. Saw plenty of higher speed 4x4 vehicle wrecks though. Same goes for the Power Wagon. If you drive it too fast on snow, it will lose traction.

Winters are normally quite sunny and dry in Colorado. It's not usually the season in which the heavy snowfall occurs at and below 7,000 feet. Spring it's usually much more snow and heavier in weight. 8,000 feet isn't that high in elevation here, but it gets more snow than the lower elevations. The city of Leadville is over 10,000 feet and I drive through it a lot each winter with no issues. Snowfall during the winter season consists of a champagne powder with little moisture content. The driving issues are usually ground blizzards (white outs) and at the high mountain passes above 10,500 feet it can become quite intense.

If it was too sunny during the day then the plowed roads on which magnesium chloride was used the snow melts, becomes a black ice during the night. Most areas stopped using gravel and salt mix due to environmental concerns, but the gravel really helped on the ice with the tire gripping.

Last edited:

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Heavy duty chains don’t always fit the front end on half ton trucks. Cables fit a lot tighter. Not sure what you have but just trying to give you options to think about.

Many thanks for the suggestion. I would have even thought about that!
I drove a 2 wheel drive mini truck for 15 years along the Colorado Front Range and never used chains on it ever. Still have my now 40 year little 1/2 ton pickup in Colorado. Even drove it over three mountain passes to ski around Leadville many times each winter. Always had a 4x4 backup vehicle, but seldom needed to use it during winter in Colorado.

Loaded the bed of the 2 wheel drive pickup with 200 pounds of sand bags over the rear axle and had high traction studded tires on just the rear axle. Never once had a steering issue with having only highway tread tires on the front in Colorado winter snow. Kept at a slower speed around 45 mph and under on snow covered roads. Saw plenty of higher speed 4x4 vehicle wrecks though. Same goes for the Power Wagon. If you drive it too fast on snow, it will lose traction.

Winters are normally quite sunny and dry in Colorado. It's not usually the season in which the heavy snowfall occurs at and below 7,000 feet. Spring it's usually much more snow and heavier in weight. 8,000 feet isn't that high in elevation here, but it gets more snow than the lower elevations. The city of Leadville is over 10,000 feet and I drive through it a lot each winter with no issues. Snowfall during the winter season consists of a champagne powder with little moisture content. The driving issues are usually ground blizzards (white outs) and at the high mountain passes above 10,500 feet it can become quite intense.

If it was too sunny during the day then the plowed roads on which magnesium chloride was used the snow melts, becomes a black ice during the night. Most areas stopped using gravel and salt mix due to environmental concerns, but the gravel really helped on the ice with the tire gripping.
This kinda makes me feel a lot better about it.

You're talking to a guy from Texas about elevation. Hahha. Anything above 2,000ft is like being on Mount Everest for me! Lol

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
In Leadville, Colorado stop at the Safeway or Pizza Hut if you get homesick for Texas. Both are at an elevation of approximately 10,200 feet. You will be fine travelling to 8,000 feet the majority of the winter season. If you want Pizza Hut delivery, be advised that they have only delivered on land one time at 19,347 feet. Got to take my Power Wagon up that high, but then there ain't nothing around here much above 14K feet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanD