So. Got a question about front axles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akdonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
I made a video. But I can not upload it. Front passenger axle bumps in and out of the outer wheel hub. Is this an axle problem or wheel hub?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I can’t recall for sure, but I think you have manual unlocking hubs in that? Or it could be just drive flanges if it spins constantly.

In either case there’s usually a snap ring on the end of the outer axle stub holding the stub axle in place.

OP
OP
akdonkey

akdonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Yes it has manual locking hubs. Weather permitting I'm going to take the wheel and hub apart tomorrow. I have a repair manual that should be hear any day. I did see diagrams on the net about it. I hope it's just the locking hub. I have never worked on anything like that. Just minor things. I hope this turns out to be a minor deal.
Thanks for your input. My son bought this for a hunting truck.

OP
OP
akdonkey

akdonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
So I disassembled the hub today. Bearings and everything else looked good. It appeared all parts where in order according to my manual. It still has lots of play. I had hoped it was a simple snap ring.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
My best guess is someone has been into this previously and used an aftermarket hub for another application, or left out a spacer somewhere, or even put a non OEM axle in it. Hard to say without a detailed comparison part by part.

Assuming the other side is tight, you have a basis for comparison by disassembly and comparing all the parts.