So long Blue Thunder but welcome home Black Beauty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque Hemi
"Sparkles 2.0" - Hilarious! I have the Diamond Black Crystal Pearlcoat paint job as well, and it's great. Cool story - strippers and glitter.

OP
OP
dmalonecentral

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
After dealing with paint overspray on the factory studs and body mount bolts that just didn’t want to loosen up I finally got the nerf bars installed. Pretty much done for now until my Power Steps, Bed Step and Trailer Brake Controller come in. I am still considering changing out to the sport hood and adding tow hooks but haven’t decided yet.

7d9ea9154aede1aa69d270a21a69ab25.jpgcd25b129e33a810cbb05a5e3fbe2d021.jpg3d0894caf0ca5dd22762b29d5977453b.jpge1048854b8b2fa2febe84c2798cd7ea6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chill72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, here we go! Less than 6 months after I moved into the 19 Limited 2WD she has moved on. The honeymoon was short lived. Less than a month after I got it the 12 inch screen went completely black and went to the shop and there she sat for 41 days while I drove rentals. After finally getting it back the next couple months were filled with calls to FCA, Sirius XM, Sirius XM Gaurdian (because they’re different), dealership, and AT&T to try and get serial numbers and VIN numbers lined up and straightened out. Last trip to the dealer was last week and I had had enough. So the search began.

Here’s what I learned from the Limited. I don’t need 4WD but I really want it. It’s like a gun or beer to me, I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I don’t want a 12 inch screen in my truck because a simple thing like turning on the seat ventilation become a series of menus and screen clicks and caused most of my headaches. And although the Air Ride was nice, I prefer the look of a little more aggressive truck as opposed to a limo with a truck bed and my options for getting that look were limited with the air suspension.

I now introduce Sparkles 2.0.

a9e5418909ef4eb012bd0070486da502.jpg

Very happy with the deal I got. Bought almost the same truck except a Laramie 4WD instead of the Limited 2WD. For about a $1k more than the price I was willing to pay when I drove on the lot for they threw in the window tint, bed liner, trailer brake controller, the power side steps, 2 inch Mopar Lift and 35x12.5 Toyo MT's. And they gave me full asking price for my trade. Lost the 12 inch screen and Air Suspension (which I couldn't lift) but gained 4WD, Panoramic Sunroof, and the Upgraded 19 speaker Harmon Kardon sound system. And before TTL I was just under 10k off sticker.

Man you got shafted big time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dmalonecentral

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Dealer called yesterday and said the Power Side Steps and the Trailer Brake Controller were in. Still waiting on the Bed Step but she said that looking at the distribution channel they may be released as well in the next week or so. Dealer is almost an hour away so going to give it a week and see if the Bed Step comes in so I can get it all done at once. Also going to bring up a couple TSB’s to have them look at.

HK System is not very loud
Rear Passenger Door Not Aligned
Reverse Brake Assist engages for no apparent reason. - TSB 08-076-18
Brakes Squealing in Reverse and Exiting the Interstate
Rough Idle at Startup - TSB 18-076-18

OP
OP
dmalonecentral

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Picked it up yesterday. Power Steps installed and Trailer Brake installed. My Bed Step also happened to arrive the day I picked it up so installed that in my driveway last night. Went from happy to pretty ticked off real quick though. They informed me that the ACC and FCW are throwing errors and no longer working. They are suspecting a bad module (worked fine the whole time I’ve had it). They ordered a new module which they said could take a week because of the cold weather delays on the east coast and the kicker is they said they will need the truck for another week because they will have to drive it every day to “train” it. Not sure why I couldn’t train it but my thought is they might need to make adjustments. Any other thoughts?

4c1b4df60bb04c7304f8b150fb536f86.jpgac00d67300d07533bfe507f49b6797d9.jpg378682d40d071e9426a2cc609e6a6166.jpg0ad8b2338e9a857fedd4956eff684d0d.jpg

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Welcome to the “ bed step “ brotherhood lol. Now I need to decide if I should pull my current steps and go with powered ones.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Nice looking ride! Wish I was willing to afford one just like it. I’m a big fan of the Undercover Elite myself and had one on my previous Ram. I have the Undercover Classic on my current truck and it works easily as well but has the two locks instead of one which can be a PITA to open and lock/unlock vs. the one in the Elite. If money was no object I would go with the power folding Retrax.

I love my Retrax pro.! it locks,its dry,it looks good and it helps stabilize many things with no use of straps! had a retrax electric for 4 years in my 2014 and have one on the 2019. Very great bed cover and works perfectly in all kinds of weather. The retrax is very easy to install,hardest thing was running wire under the truck to the battery.

Last edited:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Can't know budget, but I sense the Truckcoversusa.com may be a option. Thinking about convenience, golf club access, water proof and clean flat look. This top is a roll up. Made in the USA. But, not cheap. They run $1500-$1700 installed. I think I could have installed myself. Well made. Had tops on all of our 6 Ram trucks. Do not regret spending the money for this one. I would send you a pic, but wife has it up in the Sierra's this morning. Also, they offer this bed cover in manual open/close or electric. The company I do business with, did not recommend the electric.

OP
OP
dmalonecentral

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
For bed covers I ended up going with the BakFlip MX4. I really like this type of cover but would probably not buy it again. If I were to buy one now I think I would get the Undercover Flex plus I think it was called.

I like the look of the rolling covers but I was worried about losing too much room on the side rails and the cage where the cover rolled up to?

OP
OP
dmalonecentral

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Did you have any issues installing the light bar?

I initially used 1/2 inch spacers on the outside ends and 5/8 on the inside and the first time I shut the tailgate the tailgate went under the inside of the clips and mangled them. I ended up with 1/4 inch on the outside and 1/2 inch on the inside brackets and all is good. Also, I did take the tail gate off to do the initial mounting. Not sure if it made it easier but I think it did. And a quick tip for those have haven’t installed the Curt adapter before, you are taking the connector off the back of the trailer wiring harnesses off blind. Took me about a half hour of trying before I realized that the tab I had to push had to pry away from the connector and not push towards it. Other than that it was pretty straight forward.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now I need a cover for my golf clubs. Open to suggestions. I have purchased two Undercover Flex’s. The first one for my F150 was rock solid and looked brand new after 3 years. The second one for the Ram was not as flush, seemed cheaper and was missing some things the first had (like a handle latch for the last fold) and had become more silver than black after just a year. Looking for something very similar in style (low profile, lightweight, easily removed by one person, hard cover and secure) but not sure I would buy another Undercover.

Congrats on your new ride. I put an Undercover ultra flex on mine, no need to rise cover to close tailgate. My 2017 cover didn't fit the 2019. I really like the Ultra flex, I'll post a couple of pics when it warms up a little.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmalonecentral

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Congrats on your new ride. I put an Undercover ultra flex on mine, no need to rise cover to close tailgate. My 2017 cover didn't fit the 2019. I really like the Ultra flex, I'll post a couple of pics when it warms up a little.

[emoji1787][emoji1787]That was back in June. I ended up going with the BakFlip MX4. If I could do it again I would probably get the Undercover Ultra Flex for the sole reason of being able to lock it in the upright position as opposed to having to lean it against the cab.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
[emoji1787][emoji1787]That was back in June. I ended up going with the BakFlip MX4. If I could do it again I would probably get the Undercover Ultra Flex for the sole reason of being able to lock it in the upright position as opposed to having to lean it against the cab.

Not having it lean against the cab was the breaker for me. My previous Undercover Flex served me well on my 2015 and my 2017 with zero issues up here in the great white north.

OP
OP
dmalonecentral

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Not having it lean against the cab was the breaker for me. My previous Undercover Flex served me well on my 2015 and my 2017 with zero issues up here in the great white north.

The main reason I didn’t go with the Undercover was because on the last one I had it got beat up pretty bad in the Arizona sun. It looked almost silver on top just from being out in the elements. It seemed like much lower quality than the first one I had on a 2012 F150. So because of that I switched to the BakFlip.

Outside of the leaning against the cab part they are nearly identical design and install. One thing the MX4 has going for it is it looks as new at the day I bought it on top. I like the Rough matte black finish a lot better on the MX4. The Undercover I had looked like painted textured aluminum and all the paint started coming of before it was a year old.

I haven’t had to do it yet but I cringe at the thought of having to drive with the BakFlip resting up against the cab and rubbing up and down on every bump.