Solo Mach 44 Cat-Back System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After lots of muffler swaps, I decided I wanted to purchase a cat-back system to see if they provide any better sound/performance than just the standard muffler swap. Before anyone says that the stock piping is good and you don't need a cat-back, I would agree, but I wanted to try a full system.

I've had Solo, Magnaflow, and Borla mufflers and liked their sound, so I researched what each company had to offer in a cat-back system. I contacted Nick at Gotexhaust to get his take. He told me he's had good customer feedback on all the above mentioned systems. It was really up to me and what sound I preferred. In the end I decided on the Mach 44 system as I had previous experience with the Mach 44 muffler and knew it didn't drone, plus I really like the sound of the system on their website YouTube vid. Nick hooked me up as always and I must say I'm very happy with the system.

I wanted to get some miles on it before posting a review. I now have about 500 miles on the system and can say without a doubt that it's one of the best sounding exhaust I've had to date. It does not drone at any speed or rpm.....it does get a bit louder in the 1600-1800 rpm range, but it's not drone. The sound it produces is a deep, powerful tone with a sort of refined sound if that makes sense. Interior cab volume is very pleasant. My truck sounds just like the truck in Solo's video. I like that the kit gets rid of the rear resonators. The larger 2.5" tailpipes with no resonators has a much smoother sound to my ears. The system in not overly loud, just right in my opinion. I'd say it's about 25-30% louder than the Mach 44 muffler only option using stock tailpipes with resonators intact. It also feels like my truck is a little more responsive when I get on the throttle and my gas mileage has gone up about 1 mpg....though I need to go through more tanks to verify.

The quality of the Solo muffler and exhaust piping is top notch. Everything fits really well, the pipe bends are nice, and I really like the extra long exhaust tips. They are adjustable front to back but not up and down. I used their clamps to clamp the tailpipes on as well as the tips, but I had the front of the muffler welded. Took about an hour to remove my old system and install the new system. No adjustments needed....everything was spot on.

Over all this is a quality kit that sounds fantastic and doesn't drone. It doesn't seem to get a lot of press so I thought I'd share my experience so far with this system. Highly recommended if you're looking for a complete cat-back system. This one is definitely worth a look.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They make it for a 2018 2500 6.4l Tradesman?

Not sure about that. Nick at gotexhaust can answer that question most likely.

I posted this recommendation to you in another thread. Didn't realize you have a 2500. If they do make one for your truck I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry double post

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
gdawg55, I know exactly what you mean when you say "a refined sound." I wanted a more refined sound so I have a Magnaflow on my '14 Hemi whereas I ran a chambered Thrush on my '02 5.9 Magnum. To me, less volume and more smoothness goes with the '14 body style and the louder, more raspy sound fit the body style of the '02. I hope you continue to enjoy your truck.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After lots of muffler swaps, I decided I wanted to purchase a cat-back system to see if they provide any better sound/performance than just the standard muffler swap. Before anyone says that the stock piping is good and you don't need a cat-back, I would agree, but I wanted to try a full system.

I've had Solo, Magnaflow, and Borla mufflers and liked their sound, so I researched what each company had to offer in a cat-back system. I contacted Nick at Gotexhaust to get his take. He told me he's had good customer feedback on all the above mentioned systems. It was really up to me and what sound I preferred. In the end I decided on the Mach 44 system as I had previous experience with the Mach 44 muffler and knew it didn't drone, plus I really like the sound of the system on their website YouTube vid. Nick hooked me up as always and I must say I'm very happy with the system.

I wanted to get some miles on it before posting a review. I now have about 500 miles on the system and can say without a doubt that it's one of the best sounding exhaust I've had to date. It does not drone at any speed or rpm.....it does get a bit louder in the 1600-1800 rpm range, but it's not drone. The sound it produces is a deep, powerful tone with a sort of refined sound if that makes sense. Interior cab volume is very pleasant. My truck sounds just like the truck in Solo's video. I like that the kit gets rid of the rear resonators. The larger 2.5" tailpipes with no resonators has a much smoother sound to my ears. The system in not overly loud, just right in my opinion. I'd say it's about 25-30% louder than the Mach 44 muffler only option using stock tailpipes with resonators intact. It also feels like my truck is a little more responsive when I get on the throttle and my gas mileage has gone up about 1 mpg....though I need to go through more tanks to verify.

The quality of the Solo muffler and exhaust piping is top notch. Everything fits really well, the pipe bends are nice, and I really like the extra long exhaust tips. They are adjustable front to back but not up and down. I used their clamps to clamp the tailpipes on as well as the tips, but I had the front of the muffler welded. Took about an hour to remove my old system and install the new system. No adjustments needed....everything was spot on.

Over all this is a quality kit that sounds fantastic and doesn't drone. It doesn't seem to get a lot of press so I thought I'd share my experience so far with this system. Highly recommended if you're looking for a complete cat-back system. This one is definitely worth a look.

How does it compare to when you ran the MACH 44 on the stock duals?

Michael Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Curious question-

By upgrading the exhaust, does this void any factory warranty of any kind?

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does it compare to when you ran the MACH 44 on the stock duals?

Hi Clint. The full kit is definitely louder than just putting a Mach 44 muffler on the stock setup. I believe the kit is about 20-30% louder and has a more full tone. It sounds awesome and I don’t get any drone thank goodness. Really liking it so far.

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious question-

By upgrading the exhaust, does this void any factory warranty of any kind?

It shouldn’t unless you have some sort of weird exhaust problem that they can pin on your new exhaust....which is highly doubtful.

haasri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FN2187 what magnaflow muffler are you using?

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to get the truck out on the interstate last weekend as we took a trip to see family in another state. This muffler system sounds awesome. The tone on the highway is nice and quiet until you get on the gas going up hills or passing the slow pokes. No drone at any speed or rpm range so far (I have 3.92 gears). It's not stock quiet, but it's not intrusive at all at freeway speeds. Wife and kids never made mention of it being too loud....bonus. I've had mufflers that didn't pass the Mrs test for sure.....no issue with this one.

I really like the tone of this systems. To me it sounds different that all the other mufflers I've had.....can't quite put my finger on it, but it sounds different. It has a powerful sound, but refined (different than Magnaflow or Borla). I believe some of that comes from the larger 2.5" tail pipes and long tips. Plus the kit removes the resonators which also attributes to a better overall sound. Absolutely no popping or weird noises on deceleration....only a smooth, deep, powerful sound. Very pleased with this kit.

If you're looking for a complete cat back kit, I would suggest giving this a look/listen. When the weather improves, I plan to take/post a couple of videos.

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
I'm glad it meets all your needs. I think the affect our mods will have on our families is often overlooked by a lot of gearheads. If your vehicle has to serve family duty as well as deliver fun and pleasure to you that should be taken into consideration before mods are installed. You can't enjoy your exhaust note or your lift kit if the wife and kids are complaining about it constantly.

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad it meets all your needs. I think the affect our mods will have on our families is often overlooked by a lot of gearheads. If your vehicle has to serve family duty as well as deliver fun and pleasure to you that should be taken into consideration before mods are installed. You can't enjoy your exhaust note or your lift kit if the wife and kids are complaining about it constantly.

Agreed.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was able to get the truck out on the interstate last weekend as we took a trip to see family in another state. This muffler system sounds awesome. The tone on the highway is nice and quiet until you get on the gas going up hills or passing the slow pokes. No drone at any speed or rpm range so far (I have 3.92 gears). It's not stock quiet, but it's not intrusive at all at freeway speeds. Wife and kids never made mention of it being too loud....bonus. I've had mufflers that didn't pass the Mrs test for sure.....no issue with this one.

I really like the tone of this systems. To me it sounds different that all the other mufflers I've had.....can't quite put my finger on it, but it sounds different. It has a powerful sound, but refined (different than Magnaflow or Borla). I believe some of that comes from the larger 2.5" tail pipes and long tips. Plus the kit removes the resonators which also attributes to a better overall sound. Absolutely no popping or weird noises on deceleration....only a smooth, deep, powerful sound. Very pleased with this kit.

If you're looking for a complete cat back kit, I would suggest giving this a look/listen. When the weather improves, I plan to take/post a couple of videos.

Thanks for the many options you try for us!
Was there any mpg improvement on this last trip you took?

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the many options you try for us!
Was there any mpg improvement on this last trip you took?

Cableman, I didn't see any real improvement on this trip. Mileage was coming in at 18 which is normally what I get on the highway. It certainly didn't get any worse. Oh well....truck sounds really good though.