SOLVED: Alarm goes off when opening door with key from keyfob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FloridaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alrighty, so I am an avid waterman (surfing, kayaking, canoeing, beach, etc.)

Problem:

I put the key fob in a RFID signal blocking pouch I bought from amazon that blocks all wireless frequency so I can "trick" the truck into thinking the key fob is not there when it really is. I take the little key out, put it in the loop in my board shorts, zip it up, and I'm off into the water with the truck locked. However, every time I come back and unlock the truck with the key and open the door - the alarm goes off. Pretty embarrassing because these horns are ridiculously loud and I'm almost always around people when I get out of the water or at the beach.

I searched the forums to see if there was a solution to the problem and and across all the various forums I could not find the solutions. So, I started doing research into how the truck alarm system works and I found a solution that does not set off the alarm.

Now, I have the 2017 Laramie Longhorn so I have the key fob that comes with touch door handles and unlock/ push start. I'm assuming this will work on all models of ram but just keep that in there if you have a different style key.

Solution:

1) Your settings should be set on 1 press of unlock button only unlocks driver door. Second press unlocks rest of doors and tailgate (otherwise you'll have to walk around to each door and lock it)

2) Stand outside your truck. Press the lock button.

3) Press the unlock button once to unlock only the drivers door.

4) Open the door

5) Take your actual key out of the key fob and put the key in your pocket, safe place, i.e. wherever you are going to store it during your time away from the truck.

5) Put your key fob in the RFID blocking pouch.

6) (TRICK TO MAKE IT WORK) Ready? All you have to do is manually push the door lock indicator down on the top of the door. That's right, that little thing that goes up when you unlock and down when you lock. Press it down to lock the door (this is why having it set only on drivers door on 1 push to unlock is important. If you truck does not allow you to do that then you'll manually have to do this to all 4 doors).

7) Close your door (it is now locked)

8) Test: Use your key to unlock the same (driver) door and open it. Alarm should not go off. (It does not on mine).

How does this work?

Every time you use the the key fob you are turning the alarm on or off. It's built into the software. There's no way to disarm the alarm with the key fob. However, if you unlock the drivers door, essentially disarming the alarm and then manually push down the lock indicator on the door, that does not re-activate the alarm.

Pros: You can now leave your truck without worrying about the alarm going off when you unlock it with your key upon your return.

Cons: While you are gone, you alarm is not armed. Unless these trucks have some glass breaking sensor or something that works when the alarm is disarmed, it will not go off (that I'm aware of) if someone breaks into the truck.

Please share with everyone you know to see if this works on more vehicles. I'm sure there are 10,000 people who hate this as much as I did.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Great explanation and you’ve given me back many hours of tracking this down myself. Much appreciated!!

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i've been trying to figure out a solution for this for months! thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
1) Your settings should be set on 1 press of unlock button only unlocks driver door. Second press unlocks rest of doors and tailgate (otherwise you'll have to walk around to each door and lock it)

2) Stand outside your truck. Press the lock button.

3) Press the unlock button once to unlock only the drivers door.

4) Open the door

5) Take your actual key out of the key fob and put the key in your pocket, safe place, i.e. wherever you are going to store it during your time away from the truck.

5) Put your key fob in the RFID blocking pouch.

6) (TRICK TO MAKE IT WORK) Ready? All you have to do is manually push the door lock indicator down on the top of the door. That's right, that little thing that goes up when you unlock and down when you lock. Press it down to lock the door (this is why having it set only on drivers door on 1 push to unlock is important. If you truck does not allow you to do that then you'll manually have to do this to all 4 doors).

Been doing this something similar to this for years to be able to lock the doors while the truck is running (have the keyfobs that goes into the dash to start).
I lock the doors before I go to get out of the truck. When you pull the inside handle the door unlocks/opens. Like you said, the trick is manually locking the door with the lock stem and not using the power locks.

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do this especially during the summer when Jake is with me.IMG_0794.jpg

im_deaf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
this is very weird, i've had my truck for a few years now, once in a while my doors wouldnt unlock using the Key Fob, so i'd have to pull out the key and unlock my truck...no alarm. then now just reading these post, i realized that even with my windows open and door is locked by the fob, reach in, unlock and open the door, the alarm or honking doesnt happen... So now i'm wondering why my security system isnt working, any suggestions ?