Someone hit me, need new bumper, easy to replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autobotgears

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 Ram sxt (one below slt) single exhaust.
So, a wheelchair bus backed into my rear bumper. Are these easy to take off and install a new one?
Body shop said $1200 to fix. $800 just for the bumper, the rest is labour and a paintless dent repair to fix a dimple on the tailgate caused by the bus.
I'd be happy to have it fixed the way it was...or maybe put a stronger bumper on so this doesn't happen again.
Something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-61...031603&sr=1-20&keywords=dodge+ram+rear+bumper
or this
Smittybilt M1 Rear Bumper 614802 - Smittybilt Parts & Accessories
These 2 are supposed to be the same bumper, but they look different.
Any thoughts, suggestions? I don't want the dual exhaust bumper as I found it too loud when I test drove them, yeah I'm old!

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
2012 Ram sxt (one below slt) single exhaust.
So, a wheelchair bus backed into my rear bumper. Are these easy to take off and install a new one?
Body shop said $1200 to fix. $800 just for the bumper, the rest is labour and a paintless dent repair to fix a dimple on the tailgate caused by the bus.
I'd be happy to have it fixed the way it was...or maybe put a stronger bumper on so this doesn't happen again.
Something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-61...031603&sr=1-20&keywords=dodge+ram+rear+bumper
or this
Smittybilt M1 Rear Bumper 614802 - Smittybilt Parts & Accessories
These 2 are supposed to be the same bumper, but they look different.
Any thoughts, suggestions? I don't want the dual exhaust bumper as I found it too loud when I test drove them, yeah I'm old!
Well what you could do, if you like the look...is get the dual exhaust cut out bumper and just put a splitter at the end of your muffler so that you can run dual pipes. It wouldn't change the sound I don't imagine because it's the same muffler, but you'd get the look! Plus you could pick up a bumper like that at a scrap yard pretty easy, unless you have a unique paint colour! You could even get the tailpipes off the scrap truck cheap! I'd imagine you could do it all cheaper than buying one of those aftermarket ones!

If it's between fixing the one you have and an aftermarket one, than go with aftermarket! I personally like the one in your second link better. It looks great!

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very easy to swap bumpers. Not the most mechanically inclined person and swapped mine for a dual exhaust bumper in about an hr.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If you like the look of the dual exhaust keep the stock myffler and add the factory dual resonators mine is really quiet.... Too quiet. As far as bumper replacemnt goes it's really simple it's just bolts. The two bumpers looking different in pictures is probably due to a "stock image" a lot of times people will put up a generic picture... It is very irritating I would say the image on mudflaps web page is correct as the Amazon add claims to have d rings and there image does not.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
$1200 is ********, I bought an aftermarket bumper (looks exactly like OEM) for $400 and the dealer charged me $120 to put it on..and that's cuz they had to charge me atleast 1 hour of labour, took them 20 minutes.

daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$1200 is ********, I bought an aftermarket bumper (looks exactly like OEM) for $400 and the dealer charged me $120 to put it on..and that's cuz they had to charge me atleast 1 hour of labour, took them 20 minutes.

Yea, someone backed up into mine a few months ago and it was 700 for a brand new bumper and installation. 1200 is ridiculous.

OP
OP
A

autobotgears

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HemiRoar, you're in Toronto, I'm in Ajax.
Where did you get your new bumper for $400?
I think I'll take the 80% cash out from my insurance.
Insurance guy said they don't put new parts on a 2 year old vehicle.
I figure I can take the money, do it myself with a new bumper.
Thanks
Trevor

P.S. Maybe someone here is selling his rear bumper because he wants to upgrade to duals? I'm happy with the single exhaust bumper if someone wants to work out a deal.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Thanks
Trevor

P.S. Maybe someone here is selling his rear bumper because he wants to upgrade to duals? I'm happy with the single exhaust bumper if someone wants to work out a deal.

sent you a PM with the link

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks
Trevor

Your insurance sucks. I've got 5 year full vehicle replacement!