Sooty tail pipes on a 2021 1500 classic 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good day all ,
brand new truck has 2000kms has a few issues . cold starts is a bit difficult to get the throttle to respond smoothly seems like its stuttering once it warms up its fine . but notice after a trip down the hwy very sooty tile pipes .. any ideas before i go to dealer ?
Dealer already had the truck for the throttle issue but couldnt find anything

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Soot indicates a rich air/fuel mixture. I'd check the intake system to make sure there's no restrictions or blockages. Other than that I'd take advantage of the warranty and let the experts take care of the problem.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I agree take it back to the dealer ! But if possible i would scan it first to see if any codes ! Also check the AF to see if any critters made a home in there :O does happen :O Please UPDATE what you find Thanks

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its running rich, check your engine oil, you may have a injector thats stuck, don't run it like that, how about a pic of the tail pipes, one or both will tell what side of the engine.

OP
OP
Glen Harrison

Glen Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram
Engine
5.7 hemi
I shall take pics today , both tail pipes go into one muffler , so wont be able to determine which side of engine is rich. and my scan tool sadly wont communicate with the OBDII .. Going to take it back to dealer ASAP , as it still has this stumble throttle when cold . but only for like 15 min . Wondered if that may be the cause to the soot. but this is a bit heavy for a short cold start .
I will keep Yall posted

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Do you drive the truck hard on a regular basis? Honestly my tailpipes are darker then that but also supercharged so not really a fair comparison.

Honestly the dealers probably not going to do much If there’s no CEL. The most they’ll probably do is check for codes, monitor fuel trims and see if it actually is running rich or not. What’s your oil level like?

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned two 4th gen Ram's with the 5.7. Both would do the same thing. Nature of the beast and nothing wrong.
Same with our 2014 and our current 2018. Also had the same on my 2011 300C.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Normal ,that’s why the picture was needed .

OP
OP
Glen Harrison

Glen Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you drive the truck hard on a regular basis? Honestly my tailpipes are darker then that but also supercharged so not really a fair comparison.

Honestly the dealers probably not going to do much If there’s no CEL. The most they’ll probably do is check for codes, monitor fuel trims and see if it actually is running rich or not. What’s your oil level like?
Its a daily driver , But not hard as its in the city . I kind of agree with you on the dealer involvement

OP
OP
Glen Harrison

Glen Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram
Engine
5.7 hemi
Update**
So I took the truck to the dealer , they looked at it and we compared it to other trucks in the lot from new and used , and my truck is a lot more oily soot and more heavy than any of the others . so they do think something is out of right . They going to do some research and let me know . possible an issue with the MDS either not completely turning on or off . I will keep you guys in the loop .

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Completely normal. I make sure to wash my tips every time I wash my truck because each time I wash them they are carbon dusted like that!

soon the government will want gasoline exhaust particulate filters to combat this problem :superhack:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
For those of you who say this is normal, the OP says that was after just a drive down the highway. I might see that much soot from one oil change to the next, but not after that few of miles. The fact that it's stumbling while warming up tells me there is an issue regardless of how much or how little soot there is. This is a brand new truck. It's not running normal.

slickracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's clean as a pin compared to a late model F150

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members