SOS PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hillbilly Hen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diehard chevy girl grew up got a newer truck - my first Dodge (1999 ram 1500) think engine is 5.9 not a bad little truck - when it runs in warm weather - this is my second winter with it and again every morning when cold it wont start - last year I jumped it in the mornings and it would run NOW twice it wont take the jump in the morning then at lunch time when it warmed up it took the jump and started . I am so beyond stressed - I have 1/4 mile driveway that on bad steep hill and besides working full time I also have a small farm and desperately rely on having my truck with 4x4 - I have no more money to waste on bs garages that don't fix it and cant tell me whats wrong = I also am not a mechanic - I have no problem working on my truck but again I have NO CLUE what im doing - can anyone please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have hay to get feed to get and with the snow I have to have a running truck and I cant take the stress anymore of will it start or not and this jumping in the morning is also BS!!!
also just a fyi I used a carb cleaner from Walmart - put in with full tank and seemed to help a little but now its hitting 29 degrees at night and seems like truck is freezing - I also have no where inside I can park it PLEASE GUYS SOS ON THIS OLD GAL HERE

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Depending, there is probably one of two issues...or both.

If the truck turns over fine but won't start...possibly water in fuel.

If it turns over slowly or not at all...battery.

Take the battery out and charge over night and get some HEET and put in tank.

Obviously there could be many other things, but you got to start somewhere.

An auto parts store will test your battery and alternator if you can get to one.

Any check engine light or battery light coming on?

natethecarlover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would look into the fuel system more though. There could be anything from a bad pump/sending unit to naturally occuring water in the fuel lines.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank you so much for the input - I had a larger new battery put in last winter = it seems as if its freezing - I park it around 5pm then by 745 am next morning I turn key it tries to start then drains battery by third try - like I said id jump it never a problem last year even on coldest day - but this year twice it wont jump but then later in day when warmer it takes the jump - ill get that heet tonight and put it in

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
thank you so much for the input - I had a larger new battery put in last winter = it seems as if its freezing - I park it around 5pm then by 745 am next morning I turn key it tries to start then drains battery by third try - like I said id jump it never a problem last year even on coldest day - but this year twice it wont jump but then later in day when warmer it takes the jump - ill get that heet tonight and put it in
Make sure your terminals are tight, and all your ground wires are attached.

Check the little one that goes over to the fender. It may look good, but may be stretched/broken under the wire wrap.

natethecarlover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id also look for any shorts in the system. A good indication is something not working(hopefully something obvious like the radio). Its also in your best interests to look into a new alternator when getting the battery since they too go bad after awhile It also can be a cause for the battery to drain same goes for a short.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE - went home at lunch tried to jump it - no go - weather is warm so if frozen it would have thawed by now - hooked to car tried to turn over but drained again - I will try again when I get home I didn't have long to deal with it at lunch = its so frustrating soooo beyond frustrating

OP
OP
Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE - went home at lunch tried to jump it - no go - weather is warm so if frozen it would have thawed by now - hooked to car tried to turn over but drained again - I will try again when I get home I didn't have long to deal with it at lunch = its so frustrating soooo beyond frustrating
I would start with the battery to make sure it is the correct size and in good working order. May not have enough CCA "cold cranking amps".
what is the size I should have this cca?

OP
OP
Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would start with the battery to make sure it is the correct size and in good working order. May not have enough CCA "cold cranking amps".

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Not sure why there are two results but I would say 750 since you live in a cold climate with an older engine.

upload_2020-1-10_13-22-56.png

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find a mechanic that knows how to run down a parasitic battery drain...

There's something pulling your battery down, I'd find out what before throwing more money at another battery.... the drain will kill the new battery too.

Not just any ole shade tree mechanic has the tools, know how, patience, and brains to run down a drain like this.

But when you find one.... it won't take him long to run it down and likely about 10 minutes to fix.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Diehard chevy girl grew up got a newer truck - my first Dodge (1999 ram 1500) think engine is 5.9 not a bad little truck - when it runs in warm weather - this is my second winter with it and again every morning when cold it wont start - last year I jumped it in the mornings and it would run NOW twice it wont take the jump in the morning then at lunch time when it warmed up it took the jump and started . I am so beyond stressed - I have 1/4 mile driveway that on bad steep hill and besides working full time I also have a small farm and desperately rely on having my truck with 4x4 - I have no more money to waste on bs garages that don't fix it and cant tell me whats wrong = I also am not a mechanic - I have no problem working on my truck but again I have NO CLUE what im doing - can anyone please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have hay to get feed to get and with the snow I have to have a running truck and I cant take the stress anymore of will it start or not and this jumping in the morning is also BS!!!
also just a fyi I used a carb cleaner from Walmart - put in with full tank and seemed to help a little but now its hitting 29 degrees at night and seems like truck is freezing - I also have no where inside I can park it PLEASE GUYS SOS ON THIS OLD GAL HERE
put some dry gas in the gas tank maybe you have water mixed with the fuel in the tank. then maybe look at the plugs remember Gas,Spark,and Air

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Welcome hope you get your truck fixed soon